What's new

Sanssouci?

That's the first stainless steel Sanssouci I've ever seen and I have no idea as to whether it's vintage or someone has acquired the name and is using it. It still looks like a nice razor.
Sanssouci razors were well regarded German blades. They were different from most German razors in that they used Sheffield steel blanks and were ground and made in Solingen. Because they didn't use Solingen steel they were just labeled as Made in Germany, not Solingen. The steel is noticeably softer than a typical Solingen blade but hones easily, takes a great edge and is a wonderful shaver. They're superior razors and relatively rare.
Sans souci is french for carefree. In this case though it is named after Frederick the Great's summer palace in Potsdam which he named Sanssouci.
It has been a mystery as to who made Sanssouci razors. However last week I saw a Sanssouci on ebay that had all the proper marks and in addition had "Made by Thomas Muller". Unfortunately I missed placing a bid on it and I'm still kicking myself. I've been unable to find anything on Thomas Muller.
Sanssouci razors are usually marked with a picture of the palace on either the tang or the scales as shown in the picture below.

View attachment 219713

There are quite a few on Ebay. Seller is from Germany and they are under BIN averaging around 60-80. They look new to me (New Manufacturer) but are labeled NOS.

There are quite a few on Ebay. Seller is from Germany and they are under BIN averaging around 60-80. They look new to me (New Manufacturer) but are labeled NOS.

They're newly re-ground blanks. The seller states in the description that they're old blanks from Henckels. I doubt that they're original Sanssouci blanks but could well be old Solingen blanks. They could still be very good razors. I think manyware and manyrazor are the same seller on ebay. I've never read of any complaints about the quality of the razors he sells except for possibly misleading descriptions.

Is it just me, or is there something very.....Dovo-ish about all of the razors that guy sells? It's not a bad thing, just seems like these might be old blanks from when Dovo bought up everything over there. At least it looks more like Dovo than anything Henckels ever did.

I bought a NOS Gens razor from him. It was in perfect shape and not Dovoish at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from him.

I will let you know how it shaves as soon as mine arrives. As stated before the seller has a very good feedback and that was one of the reasons I bought mine, without great feedback I would be very suspicious. The price is also very good for a 13/16 blade imo, cant wait till it arrives.

Has anyone else picked one up?

Can't resist, must order ........on the 1st of March. Must.... .Resist ..........Rad stay away....... no!!!!!!!!!

I just hit the "buy it now" on one with the pearlex type scales. Will report back soon......<BR><BR>Jim

Nice, I ordered the one with red scales.
Very nice, I noticed the red one sold out this morning. I prefer the blue and my son was saying "Blueee Neptune" when i was looking at it last night. The red looked awesome in the youtube video, I can only imagine the blue will be similar.

Did anyone jump on these extra early? I got my tracking number from him on Valentines day and he said it averages about 5-7 business days. I am just curious about how the quality is once someone received it.

Did anyone jump on these extra early? I got my tracking number from him on Valentines day and he said it averages about 5-7 business days. I am just curious about how the quality is once someone received it.
I bought mine the 11th and hopefully I'll get it tomorrow since shipping from Germany to Sweden shouldn't take all that long, but you never know, I might get it next week as well.

Top Bottom