What's new

Sanssouci?

Got one of these razors allmost a year ago. It is soft steel that hones easily. Shaves are smooth. The razor is very lightweight and nimble. It is very different from my vintage Sanssouci - I would agree with the poster that said it was "Dovo-ish". All in all a good razor worth the price.

I'm showing it is at my local post office, it may be out for delivery today because it arrived at 7:18am there.

I would think yours should be there today as well. You ordered either the same day or the day before me didn't you?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The Sanssouci arrived.

The blade looks very good, nice gold wash is even and consistent, engraving on the shank is nice and deep, not screen printed as I feared. It does remind me of a Dovo a little, but the quality does not appear to be on par with Dovo. The spine work on the back is straight, but slightly off to the side. There is one spot on the back of the blade, near the pivot, that looks to be pitting, or did not get polished out before the goldwash (4th pic). The grinding looks good, and clean, but the spine ridge is slightly off center. Marker test shows consistent even honing indicating a straight edge. The razor centers well.

The scales do not have the same attention that the blade does. The ends look like they could use some more polish, as scratches are still visible, and near the pivot, they were not fully rounded. The pins look ok, but less than I would expect. There is some flea bites? (3rd pic) in the scales near the pivot, so they may in fact be old stock too, but the level of attention makes me unsure. The razor has been honed, but not to my standards. I will introduce it my coticule tonight. Shave report in the AM.

Advanced apologies for the iphone photos

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Now you've got me anxious. My mail should be comming with in an hour and hopefully its on the truck. I am mostly excited to hear all the good things you mentioned about it because well to be honest I wanted to expect worse and be surprised.

Update: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - pics coming soon as well.

Last edited:
Alright here is mine. The very first picture shows the pitting in the scales and also what appears to be stabilizers tapered off but not fully polished like the rest of it.. The second shows a pretty good idea of how the scales needed a little buffing or sanding. The third picture shows my oddly washer/cap on the pivot area. It is quite noticeable and you can really feel it. I am fine with it overall, maybe one day I'll have someone replace the pivot pin for me. For what we paid for it, I feel it is acceptable and has great balance to it.
View attachment 222731View attachment 222732View attachment 222733

Last edited:
Shaves arm hair. Not sure on the HHT don't have any accessible right now. Visually it's thin and it appears to be maybe 8k finish? I am just guessing it wasn't taped while it was being honed because it has the same level of scratches on the spine.

Edit found some hair: It passes HHT with thicker hair like you used in your initial tests. It won't HHT mine, but that is more than likely just technique. I may give the edge a try tonight with-out doing anything to it unless someone else beats me to it.

Last edited:
Alright so I shaved with it as promised. I feel that it has a decent bevel. It falls in-between my best bevel that I can achieve and my horrible bevels. It is even but I still have some stubble that remained behind.. I don't think it needs major bevel work but someone who knows what they are doing can chime in. It was interesting shaving with it because it did good mowing down the stubble in the first two passes but after that (ATG)it kind of laughed at me. While I haven't whipped out the measuring tape I think the blade is right at 5/8ths maybe a hair smaller. I'd compare the blade to my Pearlex because of how small and light it is. The scales have a really nice weight to them and I could feel the balance during the shave. I did strop it 60/60 before use and only 20 after because I plan on taking it to my Chosera that also came.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I could not wait till morning so I put the razor to my vintage coticule followed by .25 CBN. It was HHT-4 with my wifes blond hair. Overal, the shave was nice and smooth, with a BBS result. My razor is 6/8 and has nice weight and balance and I enjoyed using it. I did not think the steel was any softer than my other razors, save some of the swedes.

None at all. Just my strop, wanted to see how it compared to my edges. It didn't even come close to my worse coti edge. The coti edge was at-least smooth. I actually had high hopes for it giving me a good shave, but I am not disappointed because I know I can improve it tomorrow.

I could not wait till morning so I put the razor to my vintage coticule followed by .25 CBN. It was HHT-4 with my wifes blond hair. Overal, the shave was nice and smooth, with a BBS result. My razor is 6/8 and has nice weight and balance and I enjoyed using it. I did not think the steel was any softer than my other razors, save some of the swedes.

I just looked at your pics closer and even though we ordered from the auctions we have two completely different blades. Mine has stabilizers and it does not appear from your pics that yours does. Also is you tang/monkey tail gold washed?

I just compared the picture from the auction to the baldes you guys have, and Mikes is different to that pictured, CyiDev's is as pictured. Wonder what I'll get.... Mine as far as I can tell is in customs now, which means I should have it in a few days.

Top Bottom