What's new

Custom Gold Dollar Redux

Gents,

A while back I took a stab at making my own customized Gold Dollar. Well, I got it done and slapped on a cool set of plastic scales that came on the Gold Dollar Honing Passaround razor that Kentos made and donated to the passaround. That razor got a custom set of scales, so I got to hang on to these... Anyway, they're awesome but didn't really fit the razor and I had the intent to make a set just for this razor.

Well, skip forward a few weeks, and I post a thread about help with wood identification. Most think it was Cocobolo, and now that I have the scales done, I'm 99.99% sure that it is. I was making the scales for another restoration I'm working on, but they turned out so good that I decided they needed to go on my Gold Dollar.

The scales are a Wostenholm copy (love those scales) and the wedge is aluminum. Done in CA with Stainless steel pins.

So without further adieu:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cocobolo really is my all time favorite exotic wood...

Looks awesome, I am envious of your talent. When do you start accepting orders for the "Platinum Dollar"?

Thanks man. Don't know that I'll ever go into business making them though. I'll leave that to the experts like Seraphim. I'm mostly into making scales as I'm a woodworker more so than a metalworker.

*sniff*

GDs are just so beautiful!

How's she shave?

Beautifully! I played hell getting her honed up, and was getting meh results, and then Kentos and Paco hooked me up with some pasted goodies, and I got those english hones, and now it's literally as good or better shaving than my Le Grelot AND my Thiers Issard. Actually, I'd put them all on equal par with each other. It's solidly in my rotation and is a benchmark razor for me.

And it looks pretty darn cool. Too bad it's already done, else I'd enter it in the contest.

Legion

Staff member
Beautifully! I played hell getting her honed up, and was getting meh results, and then Kentos and Paco hooked me up with some pasted goodies, and I got those english hones, and now it's literally as good or better shaving than my Le Grelot AND my Thiers Issard. Actually, I'd put them all on equal par with each other. It's solidly in my rotation and is a benchmark razor for me.

And it looks pretty darn cool. Too bad it's already done, else I'd enter it in the contest

Still got plenty of time to do another.

Top Bottom