What's new

Another lesson from straight shaving

I, apparently, use slightly more pressure with my right hand when shaving my left cheek, than I do my right cheek. I know this, because shaving with my new stubby from whippeddog (Thank you, again!), I sliced almost completely through my cheek. I actually sliced down and in, meaning that about half the blade (1" or so) slid down into my cheek, cutting, and about an inch or so down.
The scary part is that it didn't even hurt, and I realized it because of the drag of cutting and the fact that almost half the razor disappeared in the blink of an eye. I now have about an inch long, red, jagged, bloody line on my face that hasn't gone away in the last 24 hours. ^_^ Still not exactly sure how it happened, as I was trying to do the face pull thing, and I guess I didn't have it proper and the tip of the blade found something to grab onto with me not really feeling it soon enough.

I probably would have freaked out if I hadn't seen some of the stuff on this forum, such as the one user who used tried to have a fist fight with his Futur in the drawer, or some of the other stuff. So, thanks for that, seriously. Keeping in mind the stuff I read here, I did not rip the thing down trying to get it out and instead stopped and slid it back out with an instant washing in as cold water as I could handle, pressure, and the blessed burn of the styptic pencil.

As it stands, my only regret is not getting some proper alcohol or something on it (or at least some Captains Choice) as I learned long ago not to put that in an open wound. :p

All in all, this leads me back to the old story of the Uncle/War Doctor who removed an appendix with a pen knife... wonder how much practice he got for that with shaving. Ah well, could have been worse and I will know better for next time!

Right hand, left cheek... was this the ATG pass?
I shave ambidextrous.
WTG:
Right hand, right cheek and neck to just beyond the midline.
Left hand, left cheek and neck, overlapping just beyond the midline.
ATG:
Left hand, right cheek and neck to just beyond the midline.
Right hand, left cheek and neck, overlapping just beyond the midline.

XTG is whatever feels most comfortable for the direction and spot needed. I am not consistent at all on XTG, and unlike many who make it their 2nd pass, for me it is my last pass and a part of the buffing/cleanup.

It was WTG. I tend not to use my left hand, or as I call it my "decoy hand" after an accident left me unable to use my right hand for a long while. I very quickly found how useless my left hand was, and from that point on basically decided that if something had to happen, left hand goes.

Dog attack? Left hand, right hand offense. Cat attack? left hand holds, right hand deals with it. Eating? Left hand holds the fork (since it doesn't move), and right hand does the work, and then swap to eat. :p I know it sounds sad, but there was a real impact when I was barely able to operate a fork, but did find I can use basic stuff like chopsticks. Scraping a very sharp (learning new respect every day) blade across my face, I wouldn't trust lefty until I get more practice... or an MD in surgery.

So this was WTG, and I went right cheek and then left cheek. Right cheek was fine, but the first time going down on the left cheek resulted in my newest love bite.

dang it.....

remember for a deep cut that wont stop bleeding or keeps opening up to put a drop of CA *(crazy glue) and hold it shut for a minute...

and be more careful.....

Yikes.....no pressure, the blade should do the work. No pressure!
I only shave with my left hand, just never got the feel of switching hands. But i did learned early on never let your eyes move from the blade. Straits are like vampires (or ex-wives), they always seem to find blood when you look away. :)
hope you heal quickly.

Cheers,

- Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Maybe the point should be muted a bit. Is it a squared off end? You can round the point on any old hone. Just make about a 1/32" radius in the profile and you are less likely to filet your face in quite that manner.

Top Bottom