Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: They could have made the Merkur HD as a three piece.

  1. #1

    Default They could have made the Merkur HD as a three piece.

    I was thinking, why didn't they just make the Merkur HD as a three piece razor like the Merkur "classic"? They could make it identical like the classic, but do away with the knob that twists at the bottom of the handle and get rid of the riveted head and make it a separate piece. Then they wouldn't have to make that long threaded post that goes halfway down the handle. Just use the same head, top and bottom as the classic, the only difference is, the fatter handle, keep the handle the same, just make it a one piece handle like the classic. I frankly don't see the point of riveting the head onto the handle or having that TTO to release the top razor head assembly. By riveting the bottom head to the handle, just creates another step in manufacturing. Just make it a 3 piece, the HD would use the identical head assembly as the classic, 2 pieces with the same, shorter threaded post the classic uses. The fatter handle would be the same minus the turning knob, with no bottom razor head fixed to the handle.

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polod View Post
    I was thinking, why didn't they just make the Merkur HD as a three piece razor like the Merkur "classic"? They could make it identical like the classic, but do away with the knob that twists at the bottom of the handle and get rid of the riveted head and make it a separate piece. Then they wouldn't have to make that long threaded post that goes halfway down the handle. Just use the same head, top and bottom as the classic, the only difference is, the fatter handle, keep the handle the same, just make it a one piece handle like the classic. I frankly don't see the point of riveting the head onto the handle or having that TTO to release the top razor head assembly. By riveting the bottom head to the handle, just creates another step in manufacturing. Just make it a 3 piece, the HD would use the identical head assembly as the classic, 2 pieces with the same, shorter threaded post the classic uses. The fatter handle would be the same minus the turning knob, with no bottom razor head fixed to the handle.
    I've often wondered that myself.

    I suspect it has something to do with trying to make it safer or easier to replace the blade, which is simpler when part of the head is fixed to the handle.
    Chris.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,185

    Default

    Do you think it's more sturdy being a two piece?


    ==Tom

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySmooth View Post
    Do you think it's more sturdy being a two piece?


    ==Tom
    Truth be told, both designs are very robust - you don't hear about a lot of the fixed-head Merkurs breaking.
    Chris.

  5. #5
    Hoos's Avatar
    Hoos is offline scintillating personality, rapier wit, and debonair continentalism
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,154
    Images
    13

    Default

    Well, having just received my Merkur Long Handle Classic, I have to say that I was surprised to find out that it operates differently than the HD.

    I'm just enough of a fumble fingers that holding onto (or turning) the head and having the whole thing come off to change the blade is a sure recipe for future blood loss.

    I would love a long handle version that operates like the HD. It's a minor detail/complaint but just caught me by surprise.

    The HD handle is just too stubby for my hands. So, I'm hoping that the new Long Handle plus the brand new Rooney Style 3, Large will make my shave much more comfortable. Short and stubby just doesn't work for me.
    Brent

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Madrid, spain
    Posts
    3,551

    Default

    sometimes accidents happen, i finished shaving and my wilkinson DE fell out of my hand, bounced a couple of times on the floor and bent the blade,

    good thing its the cheap plastic DE, if it would have happened with my slim, i would have been crying.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    5,300 feet, 45th parallel, s.w. MT
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Well, having just received my Merkur Long Handle Classic, I have to say that I was surprised to find out that it operates differently than the HD.

    I'm just enough of a fumble fingers that holding onto (or turning) the head and having the whole thing come off to change the blade is a sure recipe for future blood loss.
    I must say I do get a feeling of dread whenever I need to swap blades on my 23C and ball handle Tech. I'm sure that eventually I'll get a scar from one or both, but I do like the way both shave and I like the longer handle on the 23C. A two piece 23C like the HD would be great, but with such a thin handle I'm not sure it could work mechanically.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ & The Fortress of Solitude
    Posts
    44,148
    Images
    78

    Default

    My HD is a three piece. Tug on that knob hard enough, and you'll see what I mean.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

    Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    5,300 feet, 45th parallel, s.w. MT
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Ouch, I know what you mean; three pieces held together with a spring ring inside the handle shaft. The only Merkur I currently have left in my rotation is the 23C since I sold my 38C and HD.

    The two piece design does make changing blades so much easier and safer for me I see no reason why anyone would want a three piece HD?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ & The Fortress of Solitude
    Posts
    44,148
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTgrayling View Post
    Ouch, I know what you mean; three pieces held together with a spring ring inside the handle shaft. The only Merkur I currently have left in my rotation is the 23C since I sold my 38C and HD.

    The two piece design does make changing blades so much easier and safer for me I see no reason why anyone would want a three piece HD?
    Because the long handle is so great?
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

    Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

  11. #11

    Default

    I've been using what I thought is a HD since August but it disassembles into three pieces. I bought it from classicshaving.

    Any idea what razor it is?

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrox View Post
    I've been using what I thought is a HD since August but it disassembles into three pieces. I bought it from classicshaving.

    Any idea what razor it is?
    Likely a Classic or Classic long handle (depending on the lenght of the handle, obviously ).

    Great razor with the same head design as the HD - just a slightly lighter razor.
    Chris.

  13. #13

    Default

    Well yes, the HD and the slant for that matter are three pieces, but they're not the same as a three piece like the tech. The "classic" three piece razors tend to be a bit more difficult to align the blade properly. It's generally easier to get proper alignment with the "two piece" such as the HD where the head is riveted on. I believe that's the real reason for riveting the head on, and it works really well, for me at least.

    Now, that having been said, Gillette solved the blade alignment issue on the tech by having "holders" built right into the head. But even with that, it's easier for me to properly load my slant than my tech.

  14. #14
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I dunno, but I never get head blade alignment issues with the classic or HD. They all seem to work well with even blade gaps both sides.

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help Dating a Gillette DE 3-Piece Razor, Ball End, Made In England
    By SithWithNoName in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
  3. Help ID'ing English made Closed Comb 3 piece
    By gearchow in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 07:17 AM
  4. FS Made in England Gillette 3 Piece Open Comb Bakelite Case
    By Antique Hoosier in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.