What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obsession for Men- liked it; Concentré D'Orange Verte- liked it as well, but "feels" feminine to me- also has a very short half-life!-Signoricci - meh.

Badian by L'Occitane
$tarragon.gif

Sunday to Thursday Serge Lutens Gris Clair, Comme des Garçons 2 Man and Diptyque Eau Lente, all from samples.

Today

proxy.php

Nobile 1942
Vespri Esperidati
Colonia maxima

Notes:
top - lemon, bergamot, mandarin
middle - tarragon, juniper berries, lavender, geranium, rosemary
base - cashmere, precious woods, white musk, tonka beans

Last edited:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Accords: Floral, Citric, Fruity, Green

Top: Citrus Oils, Petitgrain, Pink Peppercorn, Yuzu
Middle: Aglaia Flower, Osmanthus, Sambac Jasmine, Ylang Ylang
Base: Australian Sandalwood, Buddahwood, Virginia Cedar

Hermes Concentre d'Orange Vert. Opens with loads of bright citrus settling down to a more dry and bitter citrus over woods and is very reminiscent of Hermes Concentre d'Orange Vert. On my skin this frag begins to fade after 2 hours and after just 3 hours there is not one trace remaining. I thought Cd'OV was bad for longevity, but it last twice as long on my skin as HoB. On my clothing though, this frag will last most of the day. I am beginning to think that the only frags that should probably be put on the skin are those whose odors will remain in your clothing for more than a couple days or those which may leave stains if that is of concern. On second thought, why would you even want to be puting that stuff on your skin either?

Indie Scents Week
Smell Bent Saddle Warmer (2009) - Monday
Smell Bent Debonair (2009) - Tuesday
Lisa Kirk Revolution (2010) - Wednesday
Eastwest Bottlers Moonshine (2011) - Thursday
Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Hand of Buddha (2011) - Friday

Last edited:
What did you think of Gris Clair, Ivan? I'm enjoying the Serge Lutens line more and more.

I tried six or seven SL scents and unfortunately I can’t share your joy with this house. I liked Daim Blond from the start and I like it even more lately. I bought a bottle for SWMBO and surprisingly she likes it too. Even more, she wears it. I steal some form her from time to time.
Gris Clair would be on a far second place. I mean I like Gris Clair a lot. It's one of the best lavenders out there IMHO. It somehow stands out with its dryness and the absence of floral/citrus backup and it’s definitely full bottle worthy for me. I still like Daim Blond better.

That said I have to add that I just came back from a poorly populated island that was almost completely covered with immortelle, broom, sage, some lavender in full bloom. Last one probably escaped from locals’ gardens. There were tons of Juniper trees too. I behaved strangely always picking something and rubbing it between my hands. I had no need for fragrances whatsoever. I used it out of habit.
Lavender and sage make a very good combination. :blushing:

Agar Aura - Cuir Chypre

This is one of Taha's new mukhallats. He hasn't put it up for sale yet.

From his upcoming blog post about this frag:

"Cuir Chypre
This is a blend inspired by the chypre genre of French perfumery. Leather chypre, to be more specific. If you were impressed by our earlier Oud Chypre, then Cuir Chypre is sure to knock your socks off.
Many people who have tried (and loved) the original Chypre de Cote by François Coty are disappointed by most of the later chypres. They lack depth, reek of synthetics, and simply don’t have the sparkle of a good chypre formulation.
The use of Indian oud in Cuir Chypre serves many purposes, and if you ask me I’d say Coty himself would have used it in his formulation had he known about it. It gives the blend an unmatched depth. It gives it a fantastic sweet leather note. It gives it an animalic note without the use of civet musk (an added bonus for those of us who cringe just thinking about the torture the civet cat has to undergo for the collection of its musk). Its bold, potent, and has screaming sillage. And best of all, every single ingredient was extracted from natural sources.
I’ve kept the essential composition more or less the same as Oud Chypre’s. There’s the same paradoxical balance of warmth and coolness. There’s TONS more oakmoss though, and of course its Indian oud in this blend, as opposed to Indonesian. These are the two key changes, but what a difference they make! Today’s a day for celebration for lovers of leather chypre scents."

Now. I have to admit, I'm not that familiar w/classic chypre scents. I'm familiar w/the genre, and I know that traditionally oakmoss was a key element in the blend. All I can tell you is that to my nose, I get a beautiful, soft, rich, supple leather scent. I'm not big on leathers but this ... this stuff is gorgeous. The blend of Indian oud & oakmoss is fantastic; it really mellows out the more ... shall we say, non-Western ... elements of the oud's scent profile. :001_cool:

Taha talks about the "screaming sillage" of this frag but so far, it's been the complete opposite on me. It's wearing very close to the skin (which I like). Perhaps that's because I'm only applying it from a sample vial. No doubt I would've dabbed on more from a full bottle. And I think I'm definitely gonna splurge for a full bottle of this one.

Chris, you're gonna love it. :thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom