What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome! Very well said, I enjoyed reading that one. Lutens scents in general, especially Ambre Sultan, Arabie, MKK and many others have both a jammy stewed fruit and eastern spice notes, some more than others. They are sweet, spicy and often smell like food. Lutens' affinity for the taste-smell connection could not be more obvious than his latest Jeux de Peau, which is supposed to smell like buttered toast. And it does, sort of. MKK is one of my favorites from Lutens and probably easily my favorite musk. There's no beating around the bush, here, (no pun intended), it smells like sweet **** on a hot body and as repulsive as that sounds it's not, it's sexy. It's dirty funky but not always and hits the libido in a downright primitive way. I've smelled this on a woman and that's a great place for it!

Yeah! You and I are coming from the same place on the SL MKK. Down right primitive is right.

I have trouble sorting out the SLs in my mind. I think I like the Ambre Sultan a whole lot, but it seems pretty sweet smelling for me to wear, at least very often.

Re the food connection, the SL Santal de Mysore has always been a scent that is hard for me to get my mind around. I think the underlying sandalwood is really nice. And sometimes the prominent cumin notes (maybe coriander, too) seem to be just where they should be and sometimes they seem too food oriented and off-putting so that I wish I could just have the sandalwood!

I really like the Floris "Sandalwood" being discussed today, too. I did not find it so fleeting. "Opulent" is a great word for it. To me very much a pure wonderful sandalwood. Notice the name is "Sandalwood" not "Santal." As I recall the Santal is rather different.

Dia Man is one of my favorites from Amouage. Just goes to show.

What is the scensation that you get with Dia? by which I mean, which notes are you into and what 'vibe' does it portray?

I've got some more of it and would really like to 'get it'.

What is the scensation that you get with Dia? by which I mean, which notes are you into and what 'vibe' does it portray?

I've got some more of it and would really like to 'get it'.

Josh, I generally have a lot of trouble describing notes because I don't really know what a lot of them smell like in isolation. With Dia Man in particular, I found it hard to identify particular notes (as do some of the reviewers on basenotes, which makes me feel a little better). Whatever they are, the combination just works for me. I think it's very well-balanced fragrance: rich, but not overpowering or too heavy, spicy but not over the top, less sweet than Jubilation XXV, a little powdery, but not too much. This is probably not a great answer to your question, but it's the best I can give you right now. I was actually thinking about buying another decant, and if I do I'll try to give you a better description.

full

Bois du Portugal

Creed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom