Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
LUCIEN FERRERO'S

proxy.php

L U B I N
PARIS, since 1798

SAn 001.jpg

Santal Noble is my gold standard for Sandalwood fragrances, and this fragrance is right on It's heels. Opens with a well blended Citrus note, and the Sandalwood note is immediately detected. Rather linear in It's appearance, smooth almost creamy deliverance of Sandalwood. As this transitions into the heart you begin to detect notes of light Florals which compliments rather than detracts from the Sandalwood and a hint of patchouli. This fragrance does not leave you wondering if this is a Cedar fragrance tempered with a Sandalwood note, or perhaps a Rosewood fragrance tempered with a Sandalwood note. The dry-down is long, and well pronounced with notes of light woods, an added hint of sweetness, and a hint of a subtle Musk. Overall a Sandalwood fragrance that can hold It's own in a crowded world of Sandalwood fragrances. Well blended, and has a clear sense of direction. IMHO

Attachments

• $SAn 001.jpg
    $SAn 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 69
"Muscs Koublaï Khän" by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido--A polarizing scent if there ever was one! Described by some as smelling like a "camel's crotch." Others perhaps more familiar with camels, say that camel's crotches do not smell this intensely or animalic. Although some say that they do get dirt and animalic from this one, I sure do!

For me, love at second sniff--when I first sniffed it a couple of days ago it seemed confusing--although the dry down does not keep to the utter funk of the opening and I am not as sure I like it nearly as much. Seems to dry to a nice rose and more normal musk, although I cannot tell if it was the cigar I smoked on the way to work or the scent itself, but I am getting a great cigar tobacco note, very much like the cigar note in C&S "Cuba" that I am so fond of that lots of folks think smells like poo--baby poo at that. I suppose that poo/tobacco cross would make sense in context. If this note I am smelling is from this scent, I am truly impressed.

Maybe not my every day scent. Heck, I might never wear it. It may just be too much. And I am not an SL fan overall. To me the house notes in SL including some thing or things that are too sweet, and I do sense consistent SL house notes in this one, which may bother me upon repeated wearings. But I am very, very impressed.

As some reviewers have also said, I would love to smell this on a woman. Lots of lower brain stem stuff going on from this scent. Kind of scary that way!

"Muscs Koublaï Khän" by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido--A polarizing scent if there ever was one! Described by some as smelling like a "camel's crotch." Others perhaps more familiar with camels, say that camel's crotches do not smell this intensely or animalic. Although some say that they do get dirt and animalic from this one, I sure do!

For me, love at second sniff--when I first sniffed it a couple of days ago it seemed confusing--although the dry down does not keep to the utter funk of the opening and I am not as sure I like it nearly as much. Seems to dry to a nice rose and more normal musk, although I cannot tell if it was the cigar I smoked on the way to work or the scent itself, but I am getting a great cigar tobacco note, very much like the cigar note in C&S "Cuba" that I am so fond of that lots of folks think smells like poo--baby poo at that. I suppose that poo/tobacco cross would make sense in context. If this note I am smelling is from this scent, I am truly impressed.

Maybe not my every day scent. Heck, I might never wear it. It may just be too much. And I am not an SL fan overall. To me the house notes in SL including some thing or things that are too sweet, and I do sense consistent SL house notes in this one, which may bother me upon repeated wearings. But I am very, very impressed.

As some reviewers have also said, I would love to smell this on a woman. Lots of lower brain stem stuff going on from this scent. Kind of scary that way!

Awesome! Very well said, I enjoyed reading that one. Lutens scents in general, especially Ambre Sultan, Arabie, MKK and many others have both a jammy stewed fruit and eastern spice notes, some more than others. They are sweet, spicy and often smell like food. Lutens' affinity for the taste-smell connection could not be more obvious than his latest Jeux de Peau, which is supposed to smell like buttered toast. And it does, sort of. MKK is one of my favorites from Lutens and probably easily my favorite musk. There's no beating around the bush, here, (no pun intended), it smells like sweet **** on a hot body and as repulsive as that sounds it's not, it's sexy. It's dirty funky but not always and hits the libido in a downright primitive way. I've smelled this on a woman and that's a great place for it!

For today, I'm trying a 16 year old aged and smoked Cambodian oud from Abdul Samad al Qurashi. I got my stink stank stunk all right! and was deathly afraid of coming into the office so I ran some errands first and came in late. By the time I got here it had toned down into just slightly stinky and some other notes were more obvious, namely a flinty almost gunpowder note, and some woody incense notes. At the moment, I have my sleeves rolled up so I can smell it in all its splendor. It smells very different from the oud samples I got from Agar Aura. In fact, this smells less refined, which being new to ouds is hard to believe I'm even saying. But yeah, I can tell, it's a bit rough around the edges. And yet the combination of notes are still amazingly intoxicating. And on another note, when I got back in my car while running errands, there was a sweet almost toffee smell in my car - very strange. Oud! What a strange and mysterious thing of nature!

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom