What's new

Help for a complete beginner needed please!

Hello everyone.

I am both completely new to this great forum and completely new to DE shaving and require a little advice from you guys on here if possible please.

As it was christmas yesterday my father bought be my first DE razor, a Merkur Futur. I love the present however unfortunately am suffering from severe razor burn and nicks when shaving. After reading a few posts on here it appears that the futur, although a great razor is was probably not the best option for me as a beginner. Unfortunately I do not have the heart to tell my father and was wondering if you could offer any advice on how I can make the best out of the futur razor for a beginner.

I am using merkur blades and have the setting turned down to 1 (the lowest), I am using a badger brush (taylor of old bond) and a shaving cream (taylor of old bond).

What advice do you have for me? what are the best blades for beginners (most forgiving and maybe least sharp) with sensitive skin and what is the best setting to have the futur on? I am only 22 and have been using a cartridge razor with success since I started shaving. I know that when mastered DE razors are by far the best but I need help because the razor burn and pain is hugely painful.

I hope you all h`d a great christmas and really appreciate your help .

Alex

Redness and irritation are common when you are first starting out. Your face needs to get used to it, since it is quite different than a cart, and your technique is not yet refined. Holding the razor at too steep an angle can cause irritation. You can't hold it like you're used to holding a cartridge razor. You hold it perpendicular to your face, then rotate it down until the blade just makes contact with the skin, that is the proper angle you need to try to maintain. Unlike a cart that you just pull down your face without a care, you have to constantly adjust the razor to maintain that angle as it goes across your face. Short strokes are easier as you learn. Like maybe 1" strokes at a time.

I've never used Merkur blades, but I know a lot of people hate them. Go get Personnas or Wilkinsons from your local walmart or pharmacy. Those are good starter blades and easy to obtain. Each blade is going to be different. You just kind of have to use a few different brands until you find one you really like.

Good Luck and Welcome to B&B!

Sorry to hear about your bad first experience.

I think we need a little more information about your prep and how many passes you did. The usual advice is to shower before shaving, start with only one or two WTG passes and watch the Mantic59 videos on Youtube. Try to let your face recover and not shave tomorrow.

And the Merkur blades are also not my favorites but they are not that bad.

Last edited:
Mr bikini:

I agree with everything the vez2 said, however want to throw in my 2 cents worth as well:

What setting were you using your futur at, if you had it at 3 and above then it would of been maybe too aggressive for you. If you have then dial it down to 1 and also follow thevez2 advice with reference to blade angle and no pressure. He is also right in terms of redness and razor burn, just remember your face (im assuming has never been shaved with any kind of safety razor so it'll take time).

Id say that yes the futur isn't really a razor for someone just starting out but that being said you can still use it as it is a great razor. Let us know what kind of prep you do before shaving, what cream or soap you use and what post shave routine you are also currently using as all these will obviously contribute to that mecca of a bbs shave.

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for your speedy replies I really appreciate it.

I currently have the setting on the futur set at 2 and as for my pre shave routine, I wet my face with a hot towel then I rub a little shaving gel on it (only a small ammount) as a base layer and then finally I use Taylor of old bond shaving cream and apply with a badger brush. I usually do 2 passes the first with the grain and then against and after I wash my face and then apply some aftershave balm. I will also try to buy a alum block when I get round to going to a shop when they re open here.

Someone recommended to me that derby were the best blades for beginners as they are the least sharp, is that correct?

Thanks guys

p.s. sorry to sound stupid but what is a BBS shave?

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for your speedy replies I really appreciate it.

I currently have the setting on the futur set at 2 and as for my pre shave routine, I wet my face with a hot towel then I rub a little shaving gel on it (only a small ammount) as a base layer and then finally I use Taylor of old bond shaving cream and apply with a badger brush. I usually do 2 passes the first with the grain and then against and after I wash my face and then apply some aftershave balm. I will also try to buy a alum block when I get round to going to a shop when they re open here.

Someone recommended to me that derby were the best blades for beginners as they are the least sharp, is that correct?

Thanks guys

p.s. sorry to sound stupid but what is a BBS shave?

Hey there! BBS = Baby-bottom-smooth. Also, give up your ATG pass...definitely too early for that (and in my opinion, over-rated. I've been DE shaving for over two years, and I get a DFS [Damn fine shave] with just two WTG passes and a little touch up, and I have a thick, fast growing beard.).

Also, I wouldn't recommend any blade (including Derby) outright. Way too much difference in how a blade treats one's face to definitively recommend just one. If you're comfortable with it, PM your address and I'll send you a variety pack to get started. If you're not comfortable with that, go to one of the online vendors and order a blade sampler.

Cheers and good luck!

+1 on the ATG advice immediately above. If you feel you need a 2nd pass the most common advice you'll see around here is to go XTG (across the grain). For many men, that's E to W on the cheeks and S to N on the neck.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

BTW, one other thought-- There'd be no shame in picking up a very mild shaver like an old Gillette Tech or Schick Krona. They're dirt cheap on eBay or you could post a WTB on B/S/T. Setting aside the Merkur for a while might be just the thing.

Set your Futur back to 1 to start, no sense adding aggressiveness if you are getting irritation.

I started with derbys, they were OK, but I always got nicks and cuts from them. Decent to learn on, like I did. I believe the key is the pick a blade and stick with it for a few weeks as you learn the technique. Once you get technique down, then try different blades to see which ones work better for you. Changing blades too early is varrying too many variables at once.

I agree it is too early for you to be doing ATG passes. That could be where a lot of your irritation is from. Why no XTG (Across the grain = sideways passes)?

Start with 2 WTG passes and be done. You should not be striving for any kind of BBS or DFS at this point, you are just learning technique. Once you can do WTG passes with no irritation and you are comfortable, add an XTG pass (either nose to ear, or ear to nose, whichever you prefer). After you do OK with that add in the other XTG pass. After a while then add the ATG pass. That process should take you 2-4 weeks as you learn the feel of everything. After that you can play around with what passes you actually need. I know for my skin, If I don't do XTG passes, I can forget about doing an ATG pass or it will hurt like heck. Remember, this type of shaving is about beard reduction. Each pass reduces your stubble a little bit at a time. Since hairs don't all grow straight out of your skin (and grow in all directions), coming at the hairs from all 4 sides gives you the optimum amount of reduction for each hair, regardless of which way it is growing.

Prep, do one pass "Feel your Face" with a little water and then shave just what you missed !until you get the hang of things! Dont forget the one Who knows your Face almost as good as you is your DAD ! Ask his advice he will be MORE than willing to Help after all he bought you the Razor! In Fact Ill bet Dollars to Donuts that he would LOVE to share info with you ,I know some45 years ago mu DAD was tickled Pink to share all he knew ! Good Luck and Above all remember TAKE YOUR TIME this is about enjoying the experience !
Enjoy Your Shave !

Futur is a rather aggressive adjustable razor (I own 2 of them and like them). the #1 setting is a rather large blade exposure. Changing blades will not help you. Changing how you shave will be better. Stick with the #1 setting for a while.

One thing you should NEVER do is press the razor to your face. Use ONLY the weight of the razor against your skin. Take small, short, rapid, strokes. Keep your wrist and elbow stiff and move your entire arm from the shoulder. This will help you keep a consistent blade angle if everything is "locked" and you only have one pivot point (your shoulder)

Don't try to get all of the whiskers in the first pass. Shaving is a multi-pass task (shave, rinse, re-lather, shave a 2nd time, rinse, re-lather and shave a 3rd time). Each "pass" takes a little more off. You should have a clean shave after 3 passes.

Typically each pass (full shave) is done in a different direction (down, then across, then up).... BUT.... When first starting you might want to make all of your passes down (down = WTG = with the grain). You may only want to do 1 down pass for the first few weeks and leave a little stubble. After a few weeks you can then add an additional pass (full shave) then after you get comfortable and it no longer hurts you can add a different direction to your shave, gradually working up to 3 full shaves (3 passes at different directions for each full shave/pass).

Take your time. Don't try to start off as a veteran, just work up gradually.

You might want to go over these shaving videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Last edited:
The advice already given is good. It will take you some time to get the knack of the new razor, as you doubtless have habits you aren't even aware of.

A couple of items to add:

The so-called "Kyle's Prep" is very useful and will prepare your beard for cutting. This reduces the amount of force needed to slice through the hairs and that translates to less chance you will add pressure and give yourself razor burn. 3 minutes (by the clock) is not too long to have that towel on your face. Consider it a break to collect your thoughts for the day and get centered. It will help your razor handling too!

The other thing you should to ASAP is map your beard! Knowing your face and the pattern of growth is one of the most important things you can do. And expect that it *will* be a hodgepodge of directions - most beards are. Remember that beard "reduction" is what you are after, so start with the grain. If that gets you close enough, then you are done. If not, go across (sometimes from both directions) and finally against the grain if it really needs it. For now, you need to build muscle memory and get your razor handling down, so don't worry too much about super-close. It will come with a bit of practice and then you can start working on the trickier aspects.

Good prep + good lather + good technique = good shave

And by the way... Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Wow! thank you all so much for your help and advice, never have I had such a positive and helpful response from anybody in a forum. I live in london and actually bought my razor from Taylor of old bond in london so I will go down to the shop in the next few days and try to get myself a sample pack of razors. I will report back how I get on implementing all of your advices.

Thanks again so much guys

Wow! thank you all so much for your help and advice, never have I had such a positive and helpful response from anybody in a forum. I live in london and actually bought my razor from Taylor of old bond in london so I will go down to the shop in the next few days and try to get myself a sample pack of razors. I will report back how I get on implementing all of your advices.

Thanks again so much guys

I don't believe TOBS actually has blade sampler packs....I may be wrong though. Your best bet is to buy them on-line. I'll PM you who.

There'd be no shame in picking up a very mild shaver like an old Gillette Tech or Schick Krona. They're dirt cheap on eBay or you could post a WTB on B/S/T. Setting aside the Merkur for a while might be just the thing.

+1

Good advice above. I second the blade sample pack: trial and error. And patience, practice and (no) pressure. You'll get it!!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to B&B, Alex. Lots of good advice above. For a good starting off point look at the information at this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to most of your shaving questions. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

Prep, do one pass "Feel your Face" with a little water and then shave just what you missed !until you get the hang of things! Dont forget the one Who knows your Face almost as good as you is your DAD ! Ask his advice he will be MORE than willing to Help after all he bought you the Razor! In Fact Ill bet Dollars to Donuts that he would LOVE to share info with you ,I know some45 years ago mu DAD was tickled Pink to share all he knew ! Good Luck and Above all remember TAKE YOUR TIME this is about enjoying the experience !
Enjoy Your Shave !
+ 1! I'll also add that I can't get a good shave with a Merk period!

Blinkini --

The Vez is dead-on in his recommendation to seek a comfortable shave and avoid the ATG passes for now.

A few observations/recommendations...

First off, be certain to view the Mantic shaving videos on YouTube, the link is in an above posting.

I'd decidedly advise against adding significant razor pressure --that will lead to weepers and other irritation.

Map out the whisker directions on your face, as you may actually be going against the grain, when you think you're going with the grain. Also, mentally map out an order of strokes that you'll use when you shave.

The cartridge razors (CR's) instill some pretty poor shaving habits that you'll need to guard against now that you're shaving with a Double edged (DE) razor. The head of the DE is fixed, so you'll have to manually control the blade angle at your face. Use a shallow angle, and be mindful and attentive that you don't gradually and inadvertently transition the razor to a steep angle.

CR's work best with long sweeping strokes, and with significant pressure on the razor; Both of these practices are ill advised when shaving with a DE.

Use short, deliberate, unhurried strokes and a light, minimal, delicate pressure on the razor.

Prep well. Build a great lather and don't short this process --it sets up the remainder of the shave.

Make sure that you're using a blade that's in its prime --blades are cheap and there's no reason to eek out additional shaves to save a couple of pennies. At the adam's apple or at the bottom of the neck, the skin may tend to 'bunch up' and present an opportunity for a cut or scrape. This can be alleviated with a light stretching or 'flattening' of the area with your free hand.

Lastly, don't try to shave cleanly with a single pass. Re-lather and shave in another direction.

With only a couple of DE shaves under your belt, you're pretty new at this, so don't force anything. You'll find you'll make very rapid improvement, and you will be experiencing fine shaves in short order.

In summary, seek a comfortable shave, don't go for closeness initially. The Baby Butt Smooth shaves will come as a by-product of good technique, which you have yet to develop. You'll find that wet shaving is easily learned and well worth your effort --and you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of fine shaves. :w00t:

Hang in there... and Welcome to B&B!

-- John Gehman

Hey guys,

...SNIP!!!

Thanks guys

Actually, the Derbys are one of the sharper blades, while others are less sharp but 'smoother'. If you have Derby's, that's fine --go ahead and use them.

If you have to buy blades, both the Astra SP, and the Personna Red-Pack IP's are 'can't miss' blades for new wet-shavers. Both should be readily available at the internet based e-tailers that cater to B&B'ers.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom