What's new

Stupid Stropping question.

I am using a strop that is not as wide as my razor and most people would say to use an "X" stroke. Is it possible to instead of doing an "X" motion to do an "/" motion and follow the same route both forward and backwards. It's more comfortable but I didn't wanna screw up my razor. Thanks again.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yes. I do a diagonal stroke as well. Heel to toe on the way up, and toe to heel on the way down. On my last 2-3 laps I go slow and do the standard heel to toe heel to toe x-stroke. Works great.

huh? i mean, if all parts of your blade are touching the strop sure...go for it. however, i really don't understand your question. oh wait...yeah, i do. i don't see anything wrong with that. feels odd to me, but hey...if it works for you. cool.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
However you decide to gitter done. I don't see a problem with your approach if it seems natural to you and the whole edge gets stropped.

I agree, do what feels better. As long as all parts of the blade are coming in contact with the strop as it goes down, you should be good to go.

Another noob question to tag on. Would this cause uneven wear on the strop? Or is a good strop's lifespan so long that this would be a moot point?

The two rules...

- Strop every part of the blade the same amount and adequately
- Strop every part of the blade from different directions

Xs, straight up and down, 20 \s, then 20 /s... it doesn't matter.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Another noob question to tag on. Would this cause uneven wear on the strop? Or is a good strop's lifespan so long that this would be a moot point?

Once you get the hang of it and no longer are slicing and dicing your strops, you should get at least 10 years of daily use out of a strop. 30 years would not be so hard to believe. Treat it with neats foot oil every couple of months and give it a good hand rubbing every few uses and it will stay nice and supple. But actually, uneven wear should not be a problem. As long as you are starting and finishing each stroke with both edges of the strop in play, wear will be fairly even. Even then, many strops come apart and it is a simple matter to swap ends after a few years of use. If you pay more than $40 for a strop, it should be one that comes apart. Definitely a very wide strop should come apart, because a 3" wide strop won't see much action on the off edge. Wide strops ought to be end-swapped more often, I think. Maybe annually.

If your strop does not come apart, you could always learn to strop left-handed. That will gitter done.

Once you get the hang of it and no longer are slicing and dicing your strops, you should get at least 10 years of daily use out of a strop. 30 years would not be so hard to believe.

I'll take this one further...I still use the same Illinois 827 I've had since 1985 when I began straight shaving. Sure, it's had a few nicks and cuts over the years, but, a good strop should be virtually bombproof.

Any strop that can't last 30 years isnt worth having.

Thank-you gentlemen. Looking to start learning the straight in the new year. Just trying to sponge up the knowledge until then.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'll take this one further...I still use the same Illinois 827 I've had since 1985 when I began straight shaving. Sure, it's had a few nicks and cuts over the years, but, a good strop should be virtually bombproof.

Any strop that can't last 30 years isnt worth having.

I have 200 years' worth of strops then!

The bottom line is this - make sure your blade lays flat on the strop surface...from the beginning to the end of the stroke. Period.

The shape / pattern of the stroke is irrelevant, as long as it's consistent.

I think my fellow B&B straight shavers have given you all the advice you need. As to the title of your post, as far as I am concerned, there are no stupid questions! Never forget that other people who were afraid to ask, have possibly been asking themselves the very same thing and thanks to you they have found an answer. As a matter of fact, I think this is the most "stupid question" friendly sub forum I know of, even in comparison to others at B&B!

Top Bottom