What's new

Great score, but I feel like I stole someone's collection!

I had an incredible score yesterday, but when I got to thinking about the diversity of pieces I got, it almost feels like I have someone's collection.

I a week or so ago, I went into an out-of-the-way antique shop to see if they had any DEs. I almost always ask, because I find shop owners tend to know their inventory really well, and will often show me something I missed. When I asked this particular shop owner, he said that he had "a couple" at his other place. Of course, I immediately asked him where it was, when they were open, etc. He tells me that he is a "dealer" and the other place is essentially a warehouse. He promises to bring back what he has later in that week and gives me a specific time that he will be open.

When I go back, he shows me a bag with 11 razors that looked like they were in good shape despite the appearance that they had gone straight from the counter top to this bag without ever being cleaned. Most of them still blades in them. Inside the bag are:

3 fatboys
1 slim
1 long handled Super Adjustable
1 '60s Superspeed
1 Blue tip Superspeed
1 Red tip Superspeed, still in original case and apparently never used
1 black handled Superspeed
1 ball-end Tech

All are "user grade" or better except for the slim, which needs to be re-plated. Two of the Fatboys are in excellent condition - each have only one or two tiny specks of green corrosion on the knurling on the handle; the rest of the plating is excellent.

I walked of the store with the entire lot for $50. I couldn't bring myself to haggle over his pricetag, because I already felt guilty that I was ripping the guy off. I had my first shave with the best Fatboy yesterday. It is my first shave ever with a Fatboy, and something about the geometry, weight, and balance just works for me. I definitely favor the more mild feel of Gillettes. My go-to razor for the past year has been a '48 Aristocrat I scored for eight bucks at a flea market.

I look forward to getting to know the feel of all of these razor over the next couple of moths and deciding which ones to keep, which ones to restore, which ones to give away, and which ones to flip.

I am so excited to play with my new toys!

You didn't rip him off, it's others that are ripping people off with their inflated asking prices for razors that should cost no more than $10-15 IMO. You gave him $5 a razor, that was a fair deal (and nice score for you). Ebay is an absolute madhouse now with this whole wetshaving resurgence. While I've got an old Super Speed, I'd rather shave with a new EJ or Merkur.

Yeah, and a Picasso is worth the cost of the paper and paint.

A '59 Fatboy cost $1.95 originally, or $14.79 in today's dollars. Then add the antique and rarity factor along with high demand. Double original price is a decent price.

You didn't rip him off, it's others that are ripping people off with their inflated asking prices for razors that should cost no more than $10-15 IMO. You gave him $5 a razor, that was a fair deal (and nice score for you). Ebay is an absolute madhouse now with this whole wetshaving resurgence. While I've got an old Super Speed, I'd rather shave with a new EJ or Merkur.
I guess that the difference is the fact that I was paying significantly below "market". But I was not paying below HIS market, which I'm sure he knows well. We assume that all merchants have access to the eBay market, but the time and effort required to access this market simply isn't worth it to everyone.

I guess that the difference is the fact that I was paying significantly below "market". But I was not paying below HIS market, which I'm sure he knows well. We assume that all merchants have access to the eBay market, but the time and effort required to access this market simply isn't worth it to everyone.

Market price on a filthy, unresearched (could be broken, locked up, pitted, unknown state of plating, until it is cleaned up it is impossible to tell) razor is $5-$15. It takes labor to clean and polish them. Then it all has to be researched, taking man hours (believe it or not, not everyone plays on this site for fun), before a fair market price can be established. The guy got $50 with no labor invested and probably made a few bucks for himself. You got a project that you wanted.

Everyone was a winner.

Last edited:
Market price on a filthy, unresearched (could be broken, locked up, pitted, unknown state of plating, until it is cleaned up it is impossible to tell) razor is $5-$15. It takes labor to clean and polish them. Then it all has to be researched, taking man hours (believe it or not, not everyone plays on this site for fun), before a fair market price can be established. The guy got $50 with no labor invested and probably made a few bucks for himself. You got a project that you wanted.

Everyone was a winner.

+1. To the OP: I would add as well that you needn't worry about having stolen someone's collection. Antique dealers sometimes buy up whole lots of bric-a-brac at estate sales, and every now and then you will see exactly this situation, where they've acquired a big variety of vintage razors that they pretty much toss into a bag for lack of better ideas. Since they have to wait for savvy buyers like you to walk in, they end up amassing these things that just sit around and take up space. Two or three estate sales with a few razors each = your bag of goodies.

And if perchance the dealer got the razor lot from a burglar who simply stole them out of someone's house, I suspect we'd all have heard about it by now. How many people own ten vintage DE razors and aren't members of B&B? :001_smile

Well now I feel like a stooge for paying $55 for a British Rocket, an Aristrocrat Junior and a Red-Tip.

Well done ! Just remember he was not selling at a loss or he wouldn't be in business.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is a picture of the haul, minus a red-tip Superspeed that I already gave to a friend at work who had been searching for a good one for his collection. Also, I miscounted Fatboys - There are four.

proxy.php

Even if it was someone's collection in the past that found its way there- surely a collector would much rather a collection would go to someone who appreciates it than going to landfill / scrap / some decorator piece... i would rather that with my stuff

And as to the price you paid - a transaction where both parties got what they wanted out of it and walking away happy is what commerce should be about (not giant profits and poor products)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is a picture of the haul, minus a red-tip Superspeed that I already gave to a friend at work who had been searching for a good one for his collection. Also, I miscounted Fatboys - There are four.

proxy.php

They look great, about $250+ worth I'd imagine. A haul and a half, indeed!

I notice that the second fatboy in from the left seems to be different than the other three. I am guessing it is just a different year than the others.

Very nice find/buy! My opinion after many years of shopping antique stores for a variety of collectibles is that the average shopkeeper is pretty well up to date on values of their merchandise. Given condition and degree of demand, they are usually the best at determining an item's value - especially to themselves. They know what sells and what doesn't. I think your shopkeeper, in this instance, received the full value he placed on the razor collection and you realized a purchase that was well below what you would have expected to pay for the items individually. Win=Win. Sometimes the "wild" is a nice place to be. :)

Top Bottom