What's new

Ivory-handled Rubberset brush

I bought this one recently from eBay, thinking that it was a bakelite handle with just a little bit staining at the bottom. Everyone else must have thought the same, because I ended up purchasing it for less than $20.

Anyway, package came today, and guess what -- the white part is not stained bakelite, it's a solid hunk of IVORY. I know, ridiculous. Anyway, I was going to replace the knot on this myself, but I'm now thinking of sending it to Shavemac or Rudy Vey for a professional reknotting.

Here's the photos -- enjoy!

Attachments

• $rubberset1.jpg
    $rubberset1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 487
Thanks, Timo! Hey, happy holidays if I don't hear from you sooner, and best wishes for the New Year!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Jeff, are you sure it is ivory?? I did a restore on a similar Rubberset brush, and the heavy bottom part was made from bone (pixs attached).
I think there are some tests that can be done to determine if it is ivory, I think the "Hot Needle" test would be OK. Or one can see the typical lines that determine the source of the ivory (Schreger Lines, depending on their angle, it can be determined if is is elephant or mammoth ivory).

Attachments

• $IMG_2888.jpg
    $IMG_2888.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 835
  • $IMG_2895.jpg
    $IMG_2895.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 434
Rudy, Im just going to send it to you, because Im too nervous to work on it myself. It has a very fine grain structure that you can see up close, and its definitely not a synthetic material like a resin. It also doesnt look like the brush that you have in your oicture. Could it be bone not Ivory, sure, but it doesnt look like it to me

I don't want to rain on your parade. Ivory has a very distinct pattern that will be visible on the bottom. I'm guessing bone. I don't think rubberset were considered high end brushes. Bone is good. I wish I had a bone brush. Post a pic of the bottom.

Here's a link to a very beautiful simpson vintage ivory. Look closely at the grain patterns and see how they compare to yours.

I would say hands down that's the most beautiful brush I've ever seen. Love that Persian jar shape.

Last edited:
I agree, bone or ivory, cool brush. I'm really liking the ferrule with the tulip shape. Now that is something you don't see everyday. Pretty high end for RubberSet I'm thinking.

-jim

I agree, bone or ivory, cool brush. I'm really liking the ferrule with the tulip shape. Now that is something you don't see everyday. Pretty high end for RubberSet I'm thinking.

-jim

+1 I didn't notice that tulip shaped ferrule until you mentioned it. It's a very cool brush. Don't get me wrong I love my bone razors and would be giddy if i ran across a brush like this. Epecially for $20. It's one the nicest RubberSets I've seen. Very nice score jeffE, Congrats.

I don't know how to tell the difference between bone and ivory, but I'm sending it to Rudy for the expert opinion! --Jeff

I realize this is a very old thread, but for those who may stumble on it in the future I would like to add this advertisement from 1923. Note that "C2952" is their stock number and not the Rubberset model number.

$rubberset bone from 1923.jpg

Top Bottom