What's new

Quality Budget Watch.

I'm looking to get a decent watch within the $200-ish range for Christmas, I know Orient are a reasonably respected brand and have been eying up this model for the last while.

What are your opinions and experiences with this model and/or brand in general.
Is hand made in Japan all is cracked up to be?

I know it it when stacked against other Far east manufacturing countries, but how do they fare against the likes of Seiko etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

What are you looking for?

1. Manual/automatic/quartz/kinetic/eco?
2. Analog/digital?
3. Chronograph?
4. Any sort of calendar?
5. Type of band?

Answer those 5 questions and we will be more helpful in suggesting watches for you to check out.

The Orient in question looks like a nice quartz divers watch. I don't have too much experience with Orient and don't really know about their quartz movements. Personally, I like an automatic or manual wind watch, and think that chronographs are a little too cluttered. So not really my cup of tea.

All in all, Japanese watches and movements are top-quality. Especially their quartz movements get high-praise.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have been a tad more specific.

1. I have no real preference with regards drive, although I haven't owned a kinetic before so am curious.
2. Analogue, I wouldn't even consider a digital to be a time piece.
3. Preferable include a chronograph, again as I haven't owned one before, though I do agree with you about this one looking cluttered.
4. Want a a calendar
5. Definitely a metal band.

I'm wearing this Orient I bought in October. $168

It's an Automatic not a Quartz. Nice Dress Watch.

Now I want the Blue Orient Mako for leisure wear. $99

@cfender

I like the watch in the picture. Where can I get one? How much are they?Check out Invitca watches. I have bought my two Invicta watches at Sams Club. They have some excellent watches.

Jerry

Where'd you get "handmade in Japan? from? As far as I'm aware no Japanese maker makes by hand- the Japanese are far too tech-savvy to be taken in by that nonsense. Sure, some Swiss makers do genuinely make things by hand, but they cost an absolute fortune, for no technical benefit. I've even read one review of a Vacheron Constantin which declare a new mvt to be "about as precise as handmade gets", i.e. not as precise a machined.
It's probably not going to be made in Japan. I can't see this designation anywhere on the link you posted. But that doesn't matter too much. Made in Japan is nice, but Orient have several different meanings of this seemingly simple phrase. There's Made in Japan and Entirely Made in Japan. In one email to me they stated that a movement was "probably made in Japan, but what that means is different for different watches and we can't know with this particular watch'. Confusing, but kudos for being honest. ETA uses Chinese parts in their "Swiss" quartz movements. That said, I would be astonished if you had any problems with this particular model, or in fact any Orient, Citizen or Seiko quartz. Orient are very trusted and offer really good value. Also check out Pulsar, an off-shoot of Seiko. Casio are also an extremely reliable and much-maligned company. I think it's criminal how ill-regarded they are by those who claim to love watches. Check out the Edifice range. They are far more stylish and a bit different from usual Japanese designs.
This is only $150 and solar.

Attachments

• $ef340sb-1a1v_xlarge.jpg
    $ef340sb-1a1v_xlarge.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 230
Invictas are Rolex clones with a Citizen movement; I'd rather buy a gen-u-ine Seiko. They are bulletproof, well made, available in literally hundreds of sizes, shapes, styles, you name it (and some can be damned expensive!). The famed Seiko 007 divers is as classic as it gets, without the snob appeal and pretention of R**** or O****.

Sea-Gull are good. Check out the M222. I've personally handled it and it feels better made than many Orients. The mvt is identical to Unitas' 6497, nicely finshed and keeps good time from all the reviews I've read. Servicing shouldn't be a problem as any decent watchmaker will know this mvt.

Attachments

• $seagull m22.jpg
    $seagull m22.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 143

Legion

Staff member
I like the look of some of the Sea Gulls and Parnis. They do some classic Flieger styles that are very smart. You can also get "sterile" ones which don't have any badging, which I like.

If you want something cheap and reliable my vote would be Seiko. I have the Japanese made, orange version of the 007 divers and it has been very good. It performs very closely to my Omega pro dive watch and only cost 10% of the price.

I've been really happy with my orient mako. Well made, keeps good time, looks good, set me back 102 bucks. I don't see any reason not to get that one if you like it. Word to the wise- go to www.dappered.com and search orient. They have had a 50% off code every month. Find the december one and go to town.

In your range, Seiko would be worth a look, and I think the cheapest Deep Blue is around 250 as well.

I agree with the previous posters - at this price point, Seiko offers the best value. Compare case finishing, hands, dial, and movement with other brands, and Seiko will win out. Some bracelets in the Seiko line [like the Seiko 5 folded link ones] are hair-pullers but many [like the Monsters] are outstanding.

A little more money would get you into Seiko's Spirit line. They're hacking, hand winding, beautifully finished watches that rival many Swiss 'prestige' brands.

A little more money would get you into Seiko's Spirit line. They're hacking, hand winding, beautifully finished watches that rival many Swiss 'prestige' brands.

I agree - although I'm not sure this falls into a 'budget' definition. Look for a Caliber 6R15.

I would try watchrecon.com for a nice selection of used watches...here are some pretty nice watches
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-seiko-skx007-deep-blue-ap-orient-mako-xl-619326.html

This seams like a good deal

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-selling-nib-seiko-snzf11k1-submariner-$125-shipped-618772.html

Eeek! A spork

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5954008&rid=0

..I don't imagine you could go wrong with a seiko. I bought a seiko quartz watch when I was 13, 33 years ago. That watch went through boot camp with me, and travelled all around the world...it's still working like a swiss watch, hehe.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm a fan of my Orient Big Mako. It keeps good time and does the job well. I probably should have gotten the smaller one, but it's a bit late for that now. I've been wearing the watch almost every day for about a year and a half now and it's still going strong.

If you're thinking of buying from Orient directly the code "DAPPEREDDECEMBER" should get you 50% off (courtesy of a blog I follow).

Top Bottom