What's new

I'm in love with my new moustache and need help.

Hi guys. I decided to grow a Moustache this movember for the first time in my life and now I'm falling in love with it and intend to keep it. However my moustache is getting a little bushy and need some care and love to look proper, all I have done so far is to trim the lip line with a pair of nail scissors.

I need some help on what kind of equipment is best for trimming and refining a moustache. I have seen that there are some beard trimmers out there as well as there are some kits including a pair of scissors and a moustache comb. What do you guys use for your staches and what would do you recommend me to get?

It depends on how thick you want to keep it. I trim mine with scissors if I'm wearing it thick in the winter. I let the hairs on top grow down to the top of my lip and keep it trimmed just above the lip. If I want it shorter I'll use a Wahl beard trimmer, found at any major drug store, with the different length combs. I wear a year round goatee, haven't seen my upper lip in 17 years.

i use a mustache trimmer that has a number setting from 0-9 i use it on my mustache and goatee they sell target or walmart for about $ 20.00 :wink2:

I use a beard and mustache trimmer with number settings I also have a goatee and trim them every couple of days so it stays uniform I have had my mustache for 15 years and never plan to shave it off.

Seems like I have to invest in a beard and mustache trimmer then. Any advice on brand or model that are good?

I've had a beard and mustache for over 15 years... I have an opinion here. I *HATE* the trimmers with snap-on combs - they don't sit right, they pop off, they get lost - a real PITA. I really like ones where there's comb stays attached and adjusts via a dial. Price doesn't really factor into this equation: some expensive ones have detachable combs, some cheap ones are adjustable. I also hate the ones with the built-in vacuum - neat idea, but it doesn't work. I really like http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-41-Stubble-Trimmer/dp/B004QWST7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1322527237&sr=1-1
$Screen shot 2011-11-28 at 7.41.37 PM.jpg
Which is only $19.99 after the $10.00 off coupon - I think I paid $25.99 or $27.99 when I got mine.
Good luck!

sounds like youve yet to decide what style of stash you want to wear.i wear a walrus myself and keep it combed.there are styles to fit every face and mustash sissors that are cheaper and safer than electric trimmers.however you go good luck

I've had a beard and mustache for over 15 years... I have an opinion here. I *HATE* the trimmers with snap-on combs - they don't sit right, they pop off, they get lost - a real PITA. I really like ones where there's comb stays attached and adjusts via a dial. Price doesn't really factor into this equation: some expensive ones have detachable combs, some cheap ones are adjustable. I also hate the ones with the built-in vacuum - neat idea, but it doesn't work. I really like http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-41-Stubble-Trimmer/dp/B004QWST7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1322527237&sr=1-1
View attachment 203123
Which is only $19.99 after the $10.00 off coupon - I think I paid $25.99 or $27.99 when I got mine.
Good luck!
Thank you for the input, will look closer on the Norelco QT4022.

sounds like youve yet to decide what style of stash you want to wear.i wear a walrus myself and keep it combed.there are styles to fit every face and mustash sissors that are cheaper and safer than electric trimmers.however you go good luck
I know, my stash looks like this at the moment:
$DSC_0109-2.jpg$DSC_0104-2.jpg
$DSC_0105.jpg$DSC_0114.jpg$DSC_0109.jpg
As you can see it's a little bushy, hence I need to trim it.

When I googled how to trim a mustach I found the following video:
I like his mustach and think I will try to get my stash to become something similar to that. However I'm not sure my stash is compact enough to get a nice result.

I might get both a trimmer and a mustach scissor + comb. All of you that have experience with mustach scissors, do you have any tips on how to use it other than what was said in the youtube video? Do you have any favourite pair of scissors that you would recommend? All recommendations for both trimmers and scissors are welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy a dedicated mustache/beard trimmer but I use a Schick cart razor handle that has a built-in, battery powered trimmer. I have a mustache/goatee and like to keep them somewhat short. It does the job. Also use scissors to trim the lip line. Can't stand hair hanging down over my upper lip, although it does make for a good strainer.

Ron

I've got a cheap battery powered trimmer that I've had for about 15 years and it works fine.I think it's a Conair or something like that that was sold at Kmart or Walmart,it has 4 settings for hair length,I usually use #3 on my 'stache,I also use it for my sideburns.

Dude, your mustache looks good already! Are you gonna pull off a classic handlebar with upward curl eventually?
Thank you. I have actually thought about getting an upward curl mustache but decided it probably is to "hard" to maintain and will probably be a pain in the *** on rainy days if I don't have a mustache wax at hand at all times. But I might pull it of some day, I love the upward curled stashes.

My barber cleans my stash up when I get my hair cut. Otherwise, I just let it go nice and bushy...that way it matches my eyebrow(s)...

Fair warning, as you haven't aquired much thickness yet, you have to watch out for the wick factor with a thick 'stache. A really bushy one can absorb half your beverage before you get to taste it!

Good advice is to trim as little as possible for as long as possible, only then you have the full potential of your 'mo.
But that is also very difficult advice...Meaning you'll have to look like a bum for a couple of months...

I used small scissors (Åhléns or Kicks have great scissors for the task for less then 50 spänn)

Had a handlebar in the Navy. No mustache wax available so wet two fingers, rub on bar soap and use that to keep the "horns" high and tight.

Ron

A classic handle bar is not hard to maintain, even on rainy days as your hat, hood or umbrella should provide adequate protection. You can also get small wax tubes that take up very little space, no larger then a lighter.

I use regular hair clippers with a #3 attachment on my beard and stache. I remove the attachment for trimming the lip line. I already owned the hair clippers and did not want to invest in another set just for the facial hair.

Good advice is to trim as little as possible for as long as possible, only then you have the full potential of your 'mo.
But that is also very difficult advice...Meaning you'll have to look like a bum for a couple of months...

I used small scissors (Åhléns or Kicks have great scissors for the task for less then 50 spänn)
I don't even know if I will keep the mo for a couple of months, so the bum look is kind of out of the question :wink2:. I will visit Åhléns and Kicks, I actually have a Kicks store a couple of hundred meters from where I live. I now use a nail scissors to get the task done, but if I can get a descent pair of scissors for less than 50 spänn I will sure buy it.

Fair warning, as you haven't aquired much thickness yet, you have to watch out for the wick factor with a thick 'stache. A really bushy one can absorb half your beverage before you get to taste it!
Thank you for the warning, don't really know if I will go for the bushy stash yet.

Had a handlebar in the Navy. No mustache wax available so wet two fingers, rub on bar soap and use that to keep the "horns" high and tight.

Ron

A classic handle bar is not hard to maintain, even on rainy days as your hat, hood or umbrella should provide adequate protection. You can also get small wax tubes that take up very little space, no larger then a lighter.

I might need to reconsider the handle bar, I've always liked handle bar mustaches.

Top Bottom