What's new

Witch hazel or aftershave splash?

I'm confused as to how to use witch hazel and aftershave splash.
So you use both after shaving or chose between the two?

How about combining them?

As a self-confessed Proraso fan-boy I use their AS which contains alantoin and witch hazel and a nice kick of other goodies.

Hot rinse, alum pass, cold rinse, Proraso AS and Mad Man is happy.

Not prone to mix products, sometimes I should try. In my case, cold rinse and ASB (now EJ Aloe Vera, but just came another parcel of "savings" by I Coloniali), and wonder happens!!

I always use both. Regardless of what aftershave I plan on using on a given day, I always apply Thayer's Astringent Witch Hazel with Aloe after I do a pass with the alum block. I rinse the alum off with cold water, and then use the Thayer's. After I use the Thayer's, I let it dry and then I use an aftershave splash, or sometimes a balm. I like the Thayer's because it has the witch hazel and the aloe gives me a bit of moisturizing, which often the AS splashes don't. It may be a bit of overkill, but I just find it's what works for me, and my face doesn't feel good if I don't use the Thayer's first. The Thayer's doesen't really have any scent so I use the aftershave for scent mostly.

My daily regimen following the last pass shaving is to rinse my face and head (I shave my head) with cold water and then slap on the witch hazel. I then dry off the sink rinse the brush etc etc. After that I pat my face and head dry and apply whatever AS I fancy

My routine exactly

My daily regimen following the last pass shaving is to rinse my face and head (I shave my head) with cold water and then slap on the witch hazel. I then dry off the sink rinse the brush etc etc. After that I pat my face and head dry and apply whatever AS I fancy

You can do as you please, but there is really no need to use both, especially if your are using a quality products

I started using WH then a little later the AS. May be over-kill for some ... but for me, WH has benefits & is so cheap!

So is there something in Witch Hazel that isn't found in typical aftershaves that are actually beneficial?

I use both, but only out of habit.

Shave, followed by a cold rinse, followed by a rub with the alum block.
While the alum block dries, I'm cleaning and storing my gear.
I then rinse the alum residue with witch hazel, then when it dries, I apply my AS of choice for that night.

The alum block and witch hazel take care of any astringent/antiseptic needs, so from there, I might go for "the burn" with the Pinaud Bay Rum, or the Captain's, or Ogallala... or I might go for something more "sweet" and splash on some Floid Blue... or if the weather is cold and dry, I'll move to the Tabac or Edwin Jagger Sandalwood lotion/balms.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can use one or the other or both.

I've found that if I use the 'leaded' version of WH, then a splash with alcohol, it's too much and it dries me out. Alcohol in one or the other seems to be ok on most days. YMMV of course.

I always use both. Regardless of what aftershave I plan on using on a given day, I always apply Thayer's Astringent Witch Hazel with Aloe after I do a pass with the alum block. I rinse the alum off with cold water, and then use the Thayer's. After I use the Thayer's, I let it dry and then I use an aftershave splash, or sometimes a balm. I like the Thayer's because it has the witch hazel and the aloe gives me a bit of moisturizing, which often the AS splashes don't. It may be a bit of overkill, but I just find it's what works for me, and my face doesn't feel good if I don't use the Thayer's first. The Thayer's doesen't really have any scent so I use the aftershave for scent mostly.

Here's a tip for you. I really like Thayer's too. If you are going to use Thayer's witch hazel and then an AS splash, I would recommend using the Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave. It's an alcohol splash with witch hazel and aloe. It's very soothing and in fact is the most efficacious AS splash I have ever used for stopping razor burn. This would combine two steps for you. My routine is RazoRock alum block, Thayer's witch hazel aftershave then Proraso Pre/Post. Soft, smooth skin with no irritation is the result.

Cold water rinse, alum block, pat face dry, non-alcoholic witch hazel, allow to air dry and then either an aftershave balm or an aftershave splash. The alum block closes weepers and tightens the face, the witch hazel moisturizes and conditions the skin and the aftershave either moisturizes or smells good.

YMMV

Aftershave is a generic terms for anything you put on your face (literally enough) after the shave.
Every ingredient in those products gives a different benefit, and affects each person's face differently. Witch Hazel can be used by itself, in concert with other products, or as an ingredient premixed into a commercial product. Which combo works best for you depends on your particular needs, trial and error is the only way to figure it out.

After I finish shaving I rinse off my face, dry it and splash on the witch hazel. After it dries, I follow it up with some Nivea ASB or after shave splash, either 4711, Bay Rum or English Leather. The witch hazel can be used alone. My Grandfather always used Dickinson's. My Father almost always used 4711, Bay Rum, Old Spice or Skin Bracer and saved the witch hazel for insect bites.

Top Bottom