What's new

Please take off your hat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strop

Now half as wise
I had the rare opportunity to meet my bride for lunch today. Went to Applebee's (not a lot of choices in a small town) so nothing fancy, but still nice. We were there for about an hour. During that time I counted 8 different men sitting at the tables with their caps on, many of them pretty dirty and stained. Ages ranged from 20something (carrying an infant seat) to at least 70.

When did it become acceptable to sit in a restaurant with your hat on? Am I just that old fashioned?

Mark

You are not old fashioned; however, not many restaurants have coat or hat checks anymore so the more "updated" etiquette now has shifted toward leaving the hat on. This is particularly true with fedoras. I don't agree with this but apparently the times are changing for us old guys.

Just because they don't have a coat/hat check doesn't mean they can't take their noggin topper off & set it on the seat next to them.

Just because they don't have a coat/hat check doesn't mean they can't take their noggin topper off & set it on the seat next to them.

This.

I'd hardly consider myself an "old guy", but I'd definitely say it's still terribly bad form to leave your hat on at the table.

Yeah not many guys today follow that etiquette anymore. It's a shame because I was raised to take your at off especially at dinner.
That along with saying thank you and holding the door open for others is long gone. I still do it so as long as my son follows my lead I'll be happy.

When we went to lunch at work we left ours on. Would you rather see a hat or our dirty and sweaty hair?

Dinner with a lady is a different story and I will remove my hat.

I don't wear many hats - mostly ballcaps on days when I'm hiking or on a weekend where I got up and didn't take a shower. Sometimes I take my hat off, sometimes I don't. It depends on my mood, the restaurant, and if there is anywhere I can put my cap other than on the table. As far as saying thank you - ingrained from my youth. And even after being together for 17 years, I still open the door for my wife, including her car door.

Yeah not many guys today follow that etiquette anymore. It's a shame because I was raised to take your at off especially at dinner.
That along with saying thank you and holding the door open for others is long gone. I still do it so as long as my son follows my lead I'll be happy.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_etiquette.html

We are not as formal as we once were. When you walk into a office building and you see men wearing shorts and women wearing stuff that should make a hooker blush.

Applebees I hardly call a formal place that deserves the removal of a hat. Everytime I've been in one thy had workers lunch specials and the bar was full of college kids getting drunk on the lunch break. A classy joint imho doesn't serve beer by the picher without even having to order food.

Last edited:
I had the rare opportunity to meet my bride for lunch today. Went to Applebee's (not a lot of choices in a small town) so nothing fancy, but still nice. We were there for about an hour. During that time I counted 8 different men sitting at the tables with their caps on, many of them pretty dirty and stained. Ages ranged from 20something (carrying an infant seat) to at least 70.

When did it become acceptable to sit in a restaurant with your hat on? Am I just that old fashioned?

Mark

I dunno. Applebees doesn't strike me as being a very fancy restaurant that required a patron to remove their hat. If I were at an upscale restaurant i'd think differently about it, but a chain restaurant? I don't really care.

I was taught to always take my hat off whenever I entered through a door. I hardly ever wear a cap, let alone a hat, but I still follow that rule.

No idea if this is required etiquette, though.

I disagree with equating this sort of etiquette with actual politeness. I'm quite glad the world I get to live in is moving away from such nonsense outside of intentionally formal occasions.

That being said I don't normally wear hats inside. To me it's a functional item rather than a fashion, and being indoors counteracts the purpose of most headwear...

Sign of the times, and it will only get worse.

I rarely hear anyone say please and thank you anywhere let alone a restuarant, even opening doors seems to be a thing for us older generation, i see it all the time people just think about themselves and slam the doors into other folks faces without a care in the world, it's rare to see many folk open a door on a car, so wearing a hat at dinner does not surprise me at all, but i would rather see hats on heads than listen to damn cell phones.

I remember as a kid discipline was the order of the day, got a caining at school (Normal), but today your not even allowed to discipline anyone, even in the service it got easier and easier because it has become a much softer generation.

Applebees I hardly call a formal place that deserves the removal of a hat. Everytime I've been in one thy had workers lunch specials and the bar was full of college kids getting drunk on the lunch break. A classy joint imho doesn't serve beer by the picher without even having to order food.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

Sign of the times, and it will only get worse.

I rarely hear anyone say please and thank you anywhere let alone a restuarant, even opening doors seems to be a thing for us older generation, i see it all the time people just think about themselves and slam the doors into other folks faces without a care in the world, it's rare to see many folk open a door on a car, so wearing a hat at dinner does not surprise me at all, but i would rather see hats on heads than listen to damn cell phones.

I remember as a kid discipline was the order of the day, got a caining at school (Normal), but today your not even allowed to discipline anyone, even in the service it got easier and easier because it has become a much softer generation.

Ditto to all of this. I can't believe what things have come to. You hold a door for someone and they waltz in like your their servant not even saying thankyou for the kindness shown. Peoiple are raised nowawadays feeling too much entitlement like they are owed the world.

It's an apple-bees - all bets are off.

Seriously though, I tend to take these things with a grain a salt - either in spite of or because of general crass behavior - gentlemanly behavior received notice.

I was raised in the south and still say thank you, your welcome, yes and no ma'am/sir. I also hold doors open.

I think things have just evolved over time. Back in the 50s there was cigg ads on cartoons, now the only legal place one can smoke is hiding in the bedroom under their covers. Nudity was only in smut mags and now its on prime time tv. People wanna blame it on kids nowdays but I blame it more on the hippies from the 60s. As they grew older and had kids they raised the in their more relaxed views. Kids are only gona act like they were taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom