What's new

Mr. Brog Pipes

These pipes were mentioned on another [pipe] forum and they look interesting.

http://mrbrog.com/

Any thoughts on these? They are hardwood and seem to be an affordable alternative to the more expensive briar. They have a few different styles and I'm eying a church warden.

I guess Popeye's pipe that I used to watch on tv as a kid always in his mouth isnt much of a fashion statement...:001_smile

Polish, right? I seem to remember them being received positively on Tamp and Puff(?) six months to a year ago. I think they did pear, apple and cherry as well as briar.

Polish, right? I seem to remember them being received positively on Tamp and Puff(?) six months to a year ago. I think they did pear, apple and cherry as well as briar.

That sounds about right. A "Mr. Brog" is posting on Pipe Smokers Forums answering questions about his product. I'll probably buy one soon.

I bought a Bent Albert churchwarden from Mr. Brog on eBay and love it. Now I'm thinking about buying another one. Any recommendations style and shape wise?

I've thought about buying one of his churchwardens. The pear wood bowl is holding up good then? You've had it for a couple months if I remember right.

I bought a Bent Albert churchwarden from Mr. Brog on eBay and love it. Now I'm thinking about buying another one. Any recommendations style and shape wise?

The bowl holds up fine. I smoke cobs most of the time, have a few briars, but the cobs taught me to smoke slow and enjoy. I would give the same advice with a pear or cherry wood pipe.

Cool. I got two cherry wood pipes and really like them. They are standing churchwardens I guess, but they smoke fantastic. Guess I was curious if the pear holds together as cherry does.
The bowl holds up fine. I smoke cobs most of the time, have a few briars, but the cobs taught me to smoke slow and enjoy. I would give the same advice with a pear or cherry wood pipe.

Just ordered a scoot from Mr. Brog: $images.jpg

Do you know if it's as short and stubby as it appears in the pic? I like the aesthetics of nose warmers but was concerned about them smoking hot due to the short shank and stem. Then my Jake Hackert nose warmer poker arrived and put those fears to rest. Smokes great. Hope yours does too.

Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the Mr Brog; I am going for that same churchwarden as you did

I am more inclined to try these types of visually interesting and low cost entry pipes, as I think of a pipe as little more than tobacco delivery vehicles.

I am not sure that I will ever appreciate the simple lines of a Dunhill straight billiard at $650 and cant think of how much better my smoking experience would be

Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the Mr Brog; I am going for that same churchwarden as you did

I am more inclined to try these types of visually interesting and low cost entry pipes, as I think of a pipe as little more than tobacco delivery vehicles.

I am not sure that I will ever appreciate the simple lines of a Dunhill straight billiard at $650 and cant think of how much better my smoking experience would be

I feel the same way and will probably grab one of those churchwardens in due time. But I do have some lingering concerns about the wood. I mean, if Gurnall and haiku44 say they smoke fine, I believe them. I imagine technique has something to do with it. But I wonder just how much of an advantage briar has over these other woods.... what exactly does it do better? Resist burning/charring? Absorb moisture? There's a southern guy on YouTube who makes "backcountry hick pipes" from various kinds of trees in his backyard and they apparently smoke fine.

Briar resists burning better than cherry or pear wood. Not sure about absorbing moisture different, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit different with the different woods.

I feel the same way and will probably grab one of those churchwardens in due time. But I do have some lingering concerns about the wood. I mean, if Gurnall and haiku44 say they smoke fine, I believe them. I imagine technique has something to do with it. But I wonder just how much of an advantage briar has over these other woods.... what exactly does it do better? Resist burning/charring? Absorb moisture? There's a southern guy on YouTube who makes "backcountry hick pipes" from various kinds of trees in his backyard and they apparently smoke fine.

I like'em...did you order any?

I'm still anxiously waiting for my new scoot pipe to come in the mail.

Last edited:
My Mr Brog Churchwarden #16 came today! I ordered the sand blasted finish and the bowl is nicely textured - but the shaft is pretty roughly finished. Also, I bought a Mr B deluxe pipe tool - it is the bees knees for the $7 I paid for it.

I just broke in the pipe with a bowl full of Squadron Leader; my first time using both if these products. The pipe smoked fine, I may recheck the draft hole in the bowl tomorrow because it was a firm draw. The pipe tobacco was excellent, I am glad of the blind purchase - I did it based on the positive reviews the folks here on B&B gave it

I like'em...did you order any?

I'm still anxiously waiting for my new scoot pipe to come in the mail.
If you were asking me if I had order any of Worobiec's pipes, no I am all piped out, I need another pipe like I need a hole in the head. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom