What's new

what makes a good after shave an after shave and not just a cologne?

Does anyone have any feedback on the Col. Conk after shaves? Do they have any usefull ingrdients in them or is it just alcohol and fragrance?

Aftershave has much less fragrance and more of either alcohol, some other astringent, OR a moisturizing lotion.
Personally, I prefer to use alum and witch hazel to take care of the astringent/antiseptic aspects and I go with an aftershave lotion/balm for moisturizing.

But a very popular AS is bay rum, which is 60% or better alcohol... OTC rubbing alcohol can be anywhere between 70% and 91%.

Cologne has a much lower amount of alcohol... only enough to be an effective carrier for the scented essential oils. If you "splash" cologne on anything, you will become known at work as "that guy" :biggrin:
Cologne should be applied as sparingly as a woman's perfume... just a dab on your pulse points. Center of your chest, behind the ears, throat, and wrists.

More cologne won't last any longer... it will just be stronger for the time it hangs around.
With cologne, less is more.

The main purposes of an aftershave are to fight razor burn and to nourish the skin after scraping it with a blade. In choosing an aftershave, think first about whether your skin is relatively oily, dry, or normal. If you tend to have dry skin, then an aftershave milk in the warm months and a balm in the colder months may be best. My skin tends to be normal to perhaps slightly oily. I have come to strongly prefer alcohol based aftershaves because they have worked better for me at relieving razor burn when I have it. I have also many balms/milks that have left my skin feeling sticky. Alcohol is antiseptic, most balms/milks are not. Most alcohol based aftershaves also contain a small amount of some kind of moisturizer such as glycerin to prevent drying of the skin. I always like to have at least one aftershave with menthol in it, as I find the cooling effect to be especially soothing after an unfortunately rough shave. Aqua Velva Ice Blue is my staple for this purpose. Unlike a cologne, fragrance is not essential at all for an aftershave. Still I prefer scented ones as part of the enjoyment of scent layering. The only purpose for wearing cologne is for fragrance only; there is no real skin conditioning value. Sorry, I have never tried any of the Col. Conk aftershaves.

Last edited:
I mainly dont understand why some aftershaves call themselves aftershave-cologne.
I apply cologne and aftershave very differently.
Col. Conk Bay Rum is called an aftershave-cologne and i was wondering how people use it.
Is it a soothing aftershave? Or is it more like an cologne that should be used sparingly?

A combination is likely going to be more of an AS, but with a stronger scent that will linger longer than a normal AS.
I would imagine the Conks might be more along the lines of some of the Pinaud products.

I mainly dont understand why some aftershaves call themselves aftershave-cologne.
I apply cologne and aftershave very differently.
Col. Conk Bay Rum is called an aftershave-cologne and i was wondering how people use it.
Is it a soothing aftershave? Or is it more like an cologne that should be used sparingly?

Because none of these terms have any hard and fast definition, they're all about how the manufacturer wants to market their product.

Not to get too off topic, but cologne means one thing and one thing only and should not be confused with any gender specific uses. A cologne (or eau de cologne) contains 3-8% (5% is typical) of the aromatics in a carrier base (usually denatured alcohol but even this can vary). A perfume (or eau de parfum) on the other hand, which also should not be attributed to any specific gender, will contain 10-20% (15% is most common) of the aromatics in any specific carrier base. In between the two is an eau de toilette, sometimes called toilet water, which will contain 5-15% of the aromatics, averaging around 10%. And then there is parfum, extrait, or parfum extrait, which gets in the 15-40% range, averaging at 20%. So, 5-10-15-20 are the numbers to remember. An aftershave, on the other hand, will typically have even less aromatics, generally in the 1-3% range, but also contain other soothing elements to nourish the skin that are not intended to be used as a fragrance and so are not included in any of the concentrations above. A good example is Guerlain's Vetiver aftershave, which actually has less of the citrus top notes than their EdC but has menthol added.

On that note, I'm man enough to say I wear perfumes frequently.

So I got some Col. Conk Bay Rum aftershave cologne the other day. Iv used it a couple times now.
It does have some soothing properties to it. I find it has a strong scent that stays with me for up to 8 hours. I would not ware cologne in addition to this. It has a strong enough scent alone.

After a nice well-done shave, this Bay Rum feels wonderfull massaged into the face.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me re-phrase the question:
When a product comes labled cologne-aftershave, how do YOU apply it? Do you rub palmfuls into your face? Or hardly any at all because you'll stink up the whole ship?

Top Bottom