What's new

Shaving soaps or creams, either better for sensitive skin?

K

kaybee

I've been using a DE razor for 3 months or so now. I love the shaves I am getting, and the best part no more itchy razor burn on my neck!

More so recently I have had one problem area. Just to the corners of my mouth I am getting dryness and a small break out. I reckon its from the change in seasons.

I have mildly sensitive skin and have been using Proraso shave soap at home and occasionally RSc moisturizing shave cream when traveling. Nivea sensitive sensitive balm afterwards.

Do creams hydrate better than soaps or any other balms suggested?

All input is much appreciated.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've been wet shaving for 17 years now and can tell you that a quality product is simply a quality product, no matter if soap or cream. It is only a personal choice and that choice is essentially up to you and your tastes. By the way, welcome to B&B! :001_smile

I have a suggestion. There is a chemical found in some products called sodium lauryl sulfate. It's a surfactant, that means it helps things to lather easily. It's basically a detergent and it's the base ingredient in most liquid hand soap and dishwashing detergent. It can also be a skin irritant. It dries my skin out terribly. Proraso contains SLS and this very well may be the cause of your problem.

We got rid of all the SLS in our house from shampoo, hand soap and so on and I no longer have as much trouble with dry itchy hands and itchy scalp. I never use any shaving products containing SLS as it dries my face out. The only exception is dish soap because we can wear dish gloves.

Try using a cream or soap that does not contain SLS. Most hard soap don't have it but some do. Stay away from VDH, it has SLS as well.

If you want a nice Italian soft soap that lathers superbly try Cella. Also, Nivea sensitive irritates my face as well. Try a different after shave.

Top Bottom