What's new

Brush Wars discussion Thread for Vulfix 2235 Silvertip Review....

Don't hold back Joel,,say what you mean! LOL That's a mighty fancy price for the brush. You could almost get two Rakowski's for that money, :') .

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Joel, do you know how this Vulfix compares to similar Vulfices in 'super'? I'm just wondering how applicable this review is to the 'super' range which some members here may be considering.

Joel, do you know how this Vulfix compares to similar Vulfices in 'super'? I'm just wondering how applicable this review is to the 'super' range which some members here may be considering.

Not sure.... I haven't tried this model in "super" but I have tried other vulfix's in super.

Hi Joel. I have a Vulfix 2236s and it is superb for creams, so-so with hard milled soaps. I did use it this morning with Pre de Provence shave soap and it worked up a great lather. Very rich and creamy. What, pray tell does all that have to do with your review? Only that if the "Silvertip" version of the 2236 is the same as your 2235 example, then yes, I would say that you are wasting money. Joel speaks straight here fellas. I have the 2236s and while it is a very nice brush, it is not in the category of the B&B Edwin Jagger finest from last year. It is quite nice and for $89 I have no complaints. I would not however, spend anymore on it. So where does that leave us? I don't know but I will not be spending $250 semolians on a brush of the type reviewed. Personally, I intend to investigate FULLY any future brush purchase. After experiencing the EJ B&B finest from last year for the paltry sum of $105, any other brush had better impress the H*** out of me before I will lay money down on it. I suggest that you pay attention to the guys that have a goodly assortment of brushes and ESPECIALLY those who have used them for 6-12 months. I am not trying to discount newbie opinion but until you have used several different brushes you can not begin to believe the differences. Many of those differences do NOT translate into a threefold price difference. Just my take but seriously men, talk to the guys with the experience here. You will likely save a ton of money if you do.

Regards, Todd

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hi Joel. I have a Vulfix 2236s and it is superb for creams, so-so with hard milled soaps. I did use it this morning with Pre de Provence shave soap and it worked up a great lather. Very rich and creamy. What, pray tell does all that have to do with your review? Only that if the "Silvertip" version of the 2236 is the same as your 2235 example, then yes, I would say that you are wasting money. Joel speaks straight here fellas. I have the 2236s and while it is a very nice brush, it is not in the category of the B&B Edwin Jagger finest from last year. It is quite nice and for $89 I have no complaints. I would not however, spend anymore on it. So where does that leave us? I don't know but I will not be spending $250 semolians on a brush of the type reviewed. Personally, I intend to investigate FULLY any future brush purchase. After experiencing the EJ B&B finest from last year for the paltry sum of $105, any other brush had better impress the H*** out of me before I will lay money down on it. I suggest that you pay attention to the guys that have a goodly assortment of brushes and ESPECIALLY those who have used them for 6-12 months. I am not trying to discount newbie opinion but until you have used several different brushes you can not begin to believe the differences. Many of those differences do NOT translate into a threefold price difference. Just my take but seriously men, talk to the guys with the experience here. You will likely save a ton of money if you do.

Regards, Todd

Yes, you can certainly put a lot of credit on Joel's opinions, and kudos to him for all this work with the brush wars! :thumbup:

My previous question was triggered by this comment in the review: "This shaving brush does not a THING for me, and honestly – think there is basically no difference between this $250 “SiverTip” version and the $70 “Super” version of this brush – other than the markings and the price tag" which got me wondering about whether the 'supers' were as lousy as this one! (I have a 'super' 377, and it's fine for creams IMHO, so I'm trying to figure out how similar the apple I have is to the orange Joel has ... if that makes sense.

I've only been wetshaving since the start of the year, so I probably still count as a n00b in a lot of ways ... including opinions on brushes. So your comments on "not wanting to discount n00b opinions but ..." are certainly understandable to me ... I know how much I'm learning about brushes and how much I still have to learn, so I'll certainly put more weight into the opinions of veterans with a well-exercised SBAD!

Yes, you can certainly put a lot of credit on Joel's opinions, and kudos to him for all this work with the brush wars! :thumbup:

My previous question was triggered by this comment in the review: "This shaving brush does not a THING for me, and honestly – think there is basically no difference between this $250 “SiverTip” version and the $70 “Super” version of this brush – other than the markings and the price tag" which got me wondering about whether the 'supers' were as lousy as this one! (I have a 'super' 377, and it's fine for creams IMHO, so I'm trying to figure out how similar the apple I have is to the orange Joel has ... if that makes sense.

I've only been wetshaving since the start of the year, so I probably still count as a n00b in a lot of ways ... including opinions on brushes. So your comments on "not wanting to discount n00b opinions but ..." are certainly understandable to me ... I know how much I'm learning about brushes and how much I still have to learn, so I'll certainly put more weight into the opinions of veterans with a well-exercised SBAD!

My first shaving brush was actually a #374 in super and I can say without question that little #374 is MUCH better than the #2235.

I am rather unimpressed with vulfix's as a whole - but I am sure your #377 has a tighter knot than the #2235. :smile:

Joel - someone took you to the cleaners!! That brush is $69.99...that was my first shaving brush!! Even if you look at all the Vulvix brushes on that site, their best brush doesn't even come close to $250.

I think you've been had! $69.99 at classic shaving

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422182.htm

Joel - someone took you to the cleaners!! That brush is $69.99...that was my first shaving brush!! Even if you look at all the Vulvix brushes on that site, their best brush doesn't even come close to $250.

That page says 'super', this review is for the 'silvertip'. Come on ;)

J

This shaving brush does not a THING for me, and honestly – think there is basically no difference between this $250 “SiverTip” version and the $70 “Super” version of this brush –
:wink2:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Obviously credible reading skills at or above the 3rd grade level not required..:001_unsur
It seems that many are too stuck in the transmit only mode.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ31loU87Uc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbadgerandblade%2Ecom%2Fvb%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D23770%26page%3D2%26highlight%3Dburn%2Bbaby[/YOUTUBE]

Hi Ian. I certainly hope you did not think my comments were directed at you individually. In fact, I did not mean them in a negative light at all. My skills as a wordsmith leave much to be desired. I only offered up the newb comment to somewhat reflect my own experience. My first brush was the Vulfix 2236s(super). My only "silvertip", and I don't think that is what EJ called the bristles in the forum brush, is the EJ Badger and Blade forum brush from last year. Before that I would have told you the 2236 was perfectly adequate for ANY lathering techniques. While I would still say "adequate", I cannot say it is anywhere near ideal. At least for hard soaps. I have been using a brush for a little over five years now. As a newb, I was floored at the luxurious nature of the Vulfix super. It is still a smashing performer with the creams(which I use less and less)and works pretty well with the French shave soaps. It is just that I would give rave reviews to this brush and in retrospect, it did not warrant the loftiness of those words. Anyroad, just wanted to say I hope my words did not come off as disrespecting a newbie opinion for the sake of arrogance. BTW, I really enjoy your postings. You have a great sense of humour.

Regards, Todd

I've had the Vulfix 2236 for a little over a year and it's losing hair like crazy. I shaved this morning and counted 28 hairs in the shink. I'm really disappointed in Vulfix and I won't be buying another brush with their name on it. And now to search and search for a new brush.

Regards,

Nick

I've had the Vulfix 2236 for a little over a year and it's losing hair like crazy. I shaved this morning and counted 28 hairs in the shink. I'm really disappointed in Vulfix and I won't be buying another brush with their name on it. And now to search and search for a new brush.

Regards,

Nick

Contact Simpson/Vulfix directly and see if they'll send you another one.

Top Bottom