What's new

Need recommendation for second brush

as per sticky guidelines

1. i have what i believe is a 1950s Rooney, i posted a thread a while back and thats what members seemed to think it was. my issue is it doesn't seem to create much lather. i build lather in my palm with creams, then face lather, but it always seems as though the lather is too dry and thick or too thin and watery. ive been at it for a while so i know how to build a lather but i feel like the brush might have something to do with it. its pretty old and beat up
2. i face lather using mostly creams, tabac soap once in a while
3. my beard is very thick and course, so im looking for a brush that will be firm enough to lift the thick hairs, but soft enough that it doesn't scrub my face raw in the process.
4. i really dont care about aesthetics at all
5. <$60
6. preferably a medium/large
7. i hope to not need another brush if this one fits the bill

thanks B&B

At that price range you are looking at a best badger or super badger, depending on the manufacturer at that price range. On a different note, you may need to control your quantities you use for your lather because you are going from one extreme the other. I do not think the brush is the culprit.

Al raz.

Either one of these or you'll have to go Frank Shaving to keep your budget!
Of the Frank Shaving I recommend this one, but get in contact with the seller and ask for a 24mmx50mm knot (if you want it with even more backbone ask for 20% more hair but that kills the flow trough IMO) before buying, great ergonomic handle with great backbone and soft tips at a spectacular price!

What's wrong with European companies? Just curious as to why you wouldn't want to deal with them.

Anyways, another option is to roll over to the BST and check out BobFarvour's brushes. He has some really great prices (around like 50) for cool brushes with a lot of different options for hair.

I would also recommend a TGN Extra Stuffed Finest or possibly a Silvertip Grade A set kinda low. The Finest will have the most backbone, and the STA will be a bit softer. Both can be had in your price range, and if you are confident setting the knot yourself you could even possibly get a 26~30mm knot and handle in your price range.

What's wrong with European companies? Just curious as to why you wouldn't want to deal with them.

Anyways, another option is to roll over to the BST and check out BobFarvour's brushes. He has some really great prices (around like 50) for cool brushes with a lot of different options for hair.

More expensive, given the currency differences, higher shipping costs, longer shipping times. That'd be my guess, and the usual reason I stay away from European imports if I can find it in the US.

It's nothing against europe, it's just that it's usually faster and cheaper to buy it in the US for me

Top Bottom