What's new

Neo-Ras and Neo-Lux slanted DEs

Here are a couple slanted slants -- novel design and rarely seen. I was stumped when I 1st received these guys -- the blade setup seemed to warrant a different designed blade than the usual DE blade. But ultimately it fit perfectly and provides an unusually comfortable shave.

The head design is novel and very low tech -- wonder why it wasn't more popular. The light weight due to the plastic/Bakelite of the construction makes using the razor a slight challenge -- the finesse required is much greater than the heavier all brass/nickel razors. But the slant and shape makes for an interesting experience and a close shave.

Check it out...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see why I was puzzling over how to get the common DE blade to fit correctly.

proxy.php

There's really only one way for the head assembly to fit together. And it then the peg simply slides into the slot assembly at the top of the handle.

proxy.php

Voici!

proxy.php

et voila!

proxy.php

Anyone else have experience using these slanted razors? Or do you know any more about their story?

jake, I have info on their companies....Herman Zaiss, Soligen-Ohligs, Germany(west) and Italy, had at least 8 models different colors, German patents (D.P.) 647758, 2 july 1937, Fritz Ebert and Erich Ebert 801132, 21 Dec 1950, Fritz Ebert, assigned to fritz and Charlotte Oplowski. Circa 1948-54. Hope that helps Jake.

Attachments

• $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    $GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 346
Funny, I was about to reach for one of these as my next back-of-the-rack selection. Some time back I bought a guy's bakelite collection (9-10 razors) but I never bothered to shave with any of them until recently, when I figured that I would ditch the regular rotation for a couple months and shave from the back-of-the-rack. This one may be next, certainly.
-- Chet

I finally got around to trying mine today.
I didn't have as much trouble holding this properly as I did my Peroni (another tilted head razor). I think the light weight of this helped in that.
It wasn't awful, but wasn't great either. I would call its aggression a medium, but for some reason I found clogging to be an issue. I also felt that the plastic cap made it drag quite a bit, and I was even using my favorite soap for slickness, PILS. I'll try it once more with thinner lather, but I can't see ever wanting this one as a regular.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Amish. I've been seeing these around more & more lately -- even one with a very fine case that was sold on Ebay for an outrageous amount. Like you, doubtful that this razor would ever be a regular part of the rotation, but certainly a novel design. And with some modifications it could have been a really great shaver. Sadly that will never happen now.

I've used my Neo-Lux tilt for a few shaves now. Once I "got" it - it doesn't need the full 30 degree angle, more like 15 to 20, which was the most difficult part - it was amazing.

The first pass North to South with the tilt running left to right. The next pass North to South with the tilt running right to left, got me DFS and then some. It also got a part of my neck that I can only get with a straight.
$la final.png

I've owned a few. Not my favorite. I don't mind the peroni even though it is weird to get used to when you have the head tilted. This model though has the weirdness plus it is incredibly light.

Top Bottom