What's new

Tips on shaving the mustache area?

So I've got 3 DE shaves under my belt and my biggest challenge seems to be my mustache area. I'm not used to the large head of the DE and I'm finding it a struggle to get it in there at the correct angle and not obstruct my view of what I am doing. I think more practice is probably the biggest need here, but I'm curious if any of you have some tips to help along the way.

Thanks!

Don't be afraid to move things(your nose) out of the way!
+1! ...what razor are you using? Some razors have bulkier heads than others, and are trickier to use right under the nose. I had better luck once I was able to use XTG passes with success. Short strokes will help also. In that area, I know if my blade is shaving if I can hear the whiskers being cut

How to shave the mustache area:

• Go WTG and XTG
  • Use your tongue to puff out the area.
  • Draw you lips over your teeth to expose more.

Last edited:
I shave XTG, one corner of my mouth to the other. Each pass I just change directions. Easiest way I've found for me.

Thanks for the tips. I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE89. Assuming I don't join the ranks of the proud mustachioed among us, I'll be sure to try these tricks out. I don't have an open comb razor, but now I've got a reason to look into one.

I draw my lip over my teeth and wiggle my nose and then make
a north south pass
then
a south north pass or a east west pass.

Top Bottom