What's new

Head shaving for the love of shaving a crazy idea?

On many a morning I get a real downer when I'm done with the shave and wish I could keep shaving something/body else. I also have a mildly receding hairline and tend to keep my hair very short - for example crew cuts in the summer.

So, I have been fighting the urge to just keep shaving....my head. I'm not sure it would look better, or even good on me. Not sure I care that much as long as it does not look awful. My main motivator would be the ability to increase my shavable surface area by a few hundred %

So, my question is do/have any of you decided to shave your head (or other body part(s)) primarily (or at least as a major factor) because of the love of the shaving process? Is this a crazy compulsion?

Thanks for listening.

Almost, except on a slightly less crazy scale.
I've had a beard since I was 19, and I'd look completely ridiculous without it now, but a few times I've considered shaving it off just so I could feel the pleasure of a full facial shave. I've managed to resist temptation so far, luckily.

I found myself in a similar position as the op and finally gave in to the urge a couple of weeks ago.

It was a great experience, I'm sure i'll repeat again, but probably not this summer ( the british summer has been rained off . . . again ).

I found a useful video from our very own Thomas from Denmark.

also http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/ http://www.slybaldguys.com/ are worth checking out.

For the record I had a shower then applied lather made from palmolive shaving cream, then performed a 2 pass shave using a gillette super adjustable with a gillette bleue extra blade on 7. I used the fingers on my free hand as a guide and double checked everything with a second mirror afterwards and caught a couple of spots that needed touching up, then some witch hazel to finish.No cuts or any irritation to report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found myself in a similar position as the op and finally gave in to the urge a couple of weeks ago.

It was a great experience, I'm sure i'll repeat again, but probably not this summer ( the british summer has been rained off . . . again ).

I found a useful video from our very own Thomas from Denmark.

also http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/ http://www.slybaldguys.com/ are worth checking out.

For the record I had a shower then applied lather made from palmolive shaving cream, then performed a 2 pass shave using a gillette super adjustable with a gillette bleue extra blade on 7. I used the fingers on my free hand as a guide and double checked everything with a second mirror afterwards and caught a couple of spots that needed touching up, then some witch hazel to finish.No cuts or any irritation to report.

Arggg...further temptation...

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been shaving my head for about 2 years and i'm not balding. I even look better with hair (or so i'm told) but i absolutely love it. I shave my face/head at the same time every other day.

I don't shave my head, but I buzz it pretty close with clippers. I've thought about shaving the head, but haven't decided to yet.

Every day with a slant. I use about a teaspoon of oil to reduce burn. A well-shaved head is something to be proud of, while a badly shaved one looks horrible. It's a whole new ball game, but very comfortable when done with a DE.

Do you have thick or thin hair?

I shave my head, but it wasn't prompted for the reasons you mentioned. I think you should give it a shot. Even if you have a receding hairline or other hair loss, it will always grow back if you don't like the way it looks. Dooo eeet Mike!

I shave my head with a blade, every other day and I love it; those mornings I actually wake up more excited than usual (probably not normal but I'm being honest).

Nothing wrong with giving it a try, within 3-4 days it will grow back to buzz-cut level anyway.

The biggest challenge to head shaving is at the very beginning. If you have very white skin, your head won't look good at first; you will need some sun exposure (slowly over time) for it to blend in with the tone of your face.

It's a really fun ritual.

I Shave mine for the Summer/hot weather months, normally using a Heavy Flat-Top SE & Zirh (Non-lathering) SC while in the shower, easier to clean-up and I don't need or use a mirror, buffing by feel until smooth.

Every day with a slant. I use about a teaspoon of oil to reduce burn. A well-shaved head is something to be proud of, while a badly shaved one looks horrible. It's a whole new ball game, but very comfortable when done with a DE.

Do you have thick or thin hair?

Very thick, like my beard.

I too am disappointed by a shave that ends all to quickly... have toyed with the idea of taking a stab at the mustache but there were a couple of horror stories I read a while ago that involved sneezing and a sharp blade.

I look forward to shaving, but not enough so that I will shave any body parts (visible or not) that do not normally receive shaving.

However, if I had lost enough hair that I felt like I was "just pretending" then I suppose I might as well finish the job.

I got into DE shaving for doing the dome. The Thomas vid is what pushed me over the fence. It feels, great, and makes for a great calming shave. I shave face and dome everyday except some saturdays.

Go for it!! If you don't like it what...wait a few days, and it will be back to what you get with the clippers.

What Joseph said is right about light skin and sun exposure... I would only add, a sunburned, peeling dome is far worse than a pale dome. So wear sunscreen!

Never will understand headshaving.

Ugly

Judgie Wudgie was a bear... :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I am balding, but not much at this point. I look forward to it getting noticeable so that I have a wife-accepted reason to shave my head. It will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Top Bottom