What's new

Segal Razor...Collectible or Just Another Oddball?

A local antique store has a cased Segal Automatic razor available for a decent price ($15) and it appears to be in good shape. I'm torn over whether to pick it up or not. I understand that it takes proprietary blades and that you can modify a modern blade to fit, but I'm just not interested in messing around with trying to cut holes in ultra-sharp pieces of thin steel. So, since I'm not going to be shaving with it, I'm curious if it's still worth adding to my collection. The TTO mechanism is fascinating, and it's visually appealing, but do I need another razor that's just for looking and not using? :001_rolle

Decisions, decisions...what do you all think? Get the Segal for $15 or spend the money on something useful? :001_huh:

If you like it, go for it. Me, I'm trying to simplify my life and looking to dispose of stuff. YMMV.

There's one in my local shop, too- and I was able to completely pass it by. I dunno, it just doesn't have any appeal for me. I suppose it depends on the size and visibility of your collection. It'd just end up in a drawer for me, so I have no interest.

That's my take!

Bought one from a member here for $10 that needs some attention and Eddieb208 was kind enough to send me a blade to use as a template. Looking forward to trying it out as I like trying different ones out and the razor itself intriques me. Dave

The more I think about it, this would probably just end up buried in a drawer with other unused, unloved gadgets. I'll let some other foo...er, collector drop $15 on it. :001_rolle

(BTW, if anyone in south-central Pennsylvania is interested in this razor, drop me a private message and I'll let you know where to find it.)

A local antique store has a cased Segal Automatic razor available for a decent price ($15) and it appears to be in good shape. I'm torn over whether to pick it up or not. I understand that it takes proprietary blades and that you can modify a modern blade to fit, but I'm just not interested in messing around with trying to cut holes in ultra-sharp pieces of thin steel. So, since I'm not going to be shaving with it, I'm curious if it's still worth adding to my collection. The TTO mechanism is fascinating, and it's visually appealing, but do I need another razor that's just for looking and not using? :001_rolle

Decisions, decisions...what do you all think? Get the Segal for $15 or spend the money on something useful? :001_huh:

Go to a Machine Shop, Take a Sample of the blade needed to fit the segal, Then have the Machine Shop Make you a Puncher block of some kind, one you can hammer right onto the blade and Viola out comes the shape you need, I'm sure it can be done :eek:) you can probably punch out, Feathers, Derby's Murkur, just about any blade if you get a custom metal puncher for it

Last edited:
Go to a Machine Shop, Take a Sample of the blade needed to fit the segal, Then have the Machine Shop Make you a Puncher block of some kind, one you can hammer right onto the blade and Viola out comes the shape you need, I'm sure it can be done :eek:) you can probably punch out, Feathers, Derby's Murkur, just about any blade if you get a custom metal puncher for it

That is a great idea. Has anyone tried this?

Buy it, I have 1 . Good price as a collector item, heres a little info>>>>>

SEGAL Automatic Safety Razor. Invented by Hyman R. Segal, of New York, NY, was the SEGAL Automatic Safety Razor. Mr. Segal applied for a US Patent on January 25, 1929, Serial No. 335,032. His safety razor US Patent was issued on July 28, 1931. The difference in this razor is the way the cap is released to replace the double-edge blade; by turning the end of the handle in a clockwise turn,the cap is raised on a shaft so that the blade could be changed. By turning the end in a counter-clockwise turn, the cap was lowered onto the comb-type guard.
There are several patent numbers pressed into the base of the razor head; the blades also had a patent number. At the time this item was manufactured--the early 1930's--Segal and Gillette were suing and countersuing each other for patent violations as each company strove to capture the safety razor market. You know now which one prevailed.

Attachments

• $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor2.jpg
    $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 190
  • $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor7.jpg
    $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor7.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 189
  • $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor14.JPG
    $1930SEGAL1930AutomaticSafetyRazor14.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 188
I Personally Like them. I find them to be pretty solid and nice craftsmanship on them, I have about 4-5 Different Model of Segal Razors, I'm going to talk to a few friends and see if they can point me in the right direction and find me a good machine shop that is willing to do it, Then watch these Segal razors sky Rocket :eek:/

Attachments

• $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor.jpg
    $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 188
  • $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor (2).jpg
    $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor (2).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 189
  • $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor (3).jpg
    $1920`s Segal Mechanical Safety Razor (3).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I have a gold plated version in rough shape but I bought it because of its cool design... Not worth much now but down the road it could be the next Fatboy craze...

Thanks a lot, that really helps. You know, if this does become the next fatboy someone could make a mint with that blade press idea. New hobby?

i like the simplicity of them..but since they dont work with modern DE blades i sold mine. i did manage to finagle a new blade in it but it was too much of a hassle to modify them every time i did a blade change. luckily mine didnt cost me a penny. my dad was a junk dealer in his spare time and i found one in a bucket in his old shop.

if you like to collect and find one for a good price id go for it. it would look good in a display case with the top opened up. they are eye catchers.

Top Bottom