What's new

bestshave #6 shorty mod

So, last week I got in my 3 bestshave brush #6 horse hair brushes. They were cheap and worse came to worse, I could PIF them if need be, but wanted to try them out. So, the first one joined into my stable of brushes I use daily (stable of now 3, 1 badger, 1 boar, and now 1 horsie). The second brush will be PIF'ed to a friend who wanted to try DE shaving.

The last one, well, it became a test bed :)

The tube came from an auction for a tiny travel shaving brush, which the handle didn't even survive it's first washing so doubtful it was even ever used. So, now that I had this cool shiny tube, what to put into it. Thru dumb luck, the bestshave horse hair brush's diameter fit exactly into the tube, it was just too tall.

So, as you see in the pics above, I cut it down the handle with a handsaw (not the best cut I ever did, but meh), reshaped the profile a bit with a lot of hand sanding and several go-overs with a rotary tool, and finished it off with several coats of a penetrating oil (which I'm not happy with at the moment and looking for another option).

But in all, happy with the shaping of it, it's nice full head, and the brush actually performs rather well, too.

Ultimately, this will be a part of mod to an old razor case to be transformed into a custom traveling shave case for me (once I figure out how). Looking forward to shaving while traveling... that is, whenever I next get a chance to travel, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom