What's new

First DE: Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger DE89

I didn't see any posts come up with this slant using search, so if it's been previously answered just post the thread and I'll check it out. After ditching canned shaving cream a year ago I figure it's time to ditch the cartridge blades :) I've read these forumsand a few other places it seems like the Merkur HD is/has been the go-to beginner razor for many years. Some of the newer posts and articles indicate the Edwin Jagger DE line is just as good if not better, especially given the recent pricing ($30 for the Edwin Jagger vs. $40 for the Merkur).

Any thoughts on the differences between the razors in terms of ease of use, durability, shave quality for a DE beginner?

I too can vouch for the EJ. Pick whichever model you like. You can't go wrong. They're mild enough for a beginner yet aggressive enough to provide a nice smooth shave. That, and they're absolutely beautiful razors.

Just to be different, and in hindsight, I say go for the 34HD. Yes, the EJs are beautiful razors(I own an 89L and a Muhle R89), but for shave quality, I prefer the Merkur for its slightly higher aggressiveness. Only my opinion of course-either way you can't go wrong!

I'm in the EJ boat, too. I started with a Merkur HD, moved to Gillette SS and then discovered EJs. The quality and feel of the EJs won me over. I ended up selling my HD on BST and got another EJ -- just in case the shavepocalypse makes them unobtanium.

Don't have either buy I gotta say Ej. The general feel of things is that people like their HD, but people love their Ej. That and the quality/$ of the Ej can't be beat.

I have both, the EJ is smoother for me with the same blade (Crystal). I should note that I have a light beard and somewhat sensitive skin.

I'd suggest getting the EJ89, an outstanding razor in every regard. The only Merkur I could recommend is the Slant and I only recommend this Merkur because no one else makes one. With Merkur you can almost be sure of QC problems of some sort.

DD

My first razor was the Merkur 34C, but I now own the EJ 89 (unlined) and a whole bunch of other razors... Given that the EJ is cheaper, better made (looks purdy... :letterk1: ), is slightly less aggressive and the company that makes it stands behind their product, I cannot recommend the Merkur over it as the ideal beginner razor.

Top Bottom