What's new

Ink review baystate blue twsbi & preppy fountain pens

I really like Noodler's Baystate Blue ink. I got the 4oz bottle. I have been using it with my Platinum Preppy for a bout a week. I love the color and the way it pops on paper. It's a cobalt blue color.

I decided to load my TWSBI 530 Medium Nib up with it last night. I'm very pleased with it's performance so far. I have noticed some very slight feathering effect with some cheap printer paper, but it doesn't happen on my cheap legal gold note pad, or on my TOP FLIGHT Composition Book from Costco.

The slight feathering is because of the heavy flow the TWSBI delivers. I have used the Baystate Blue with my Preppy Medium nib for about a week now and have had no issues with feathering on any papers. The Preppy is much dryer, and feels scratchy, which I also like.

Some say that Baystate Blue will stain and will not come off. I got some on my finguers last night this morning it came off when I showered. Ive even heard reports that some people claim that it will stain a stainless steel sink. I spilled some on my sink about 3 days ago while it did stick to the sink, after using some orange degreaser it just came off with a sponge. (I let the ink sit for a few days. no staining at all.)

As maNy of you know, Plastic is porous some more than others and will absorb many substances. Im sure it will stain some plastics. This ink does not mix well with other inks and you are suppose to dedicate a pen to it. I like it so much I have two pens filled with Baystate Blue.

I have not checked to see if the plastic has stained. But I really don't care. I love it. :001_tt1:

Items Used for Review:

INK Baystate Blue
TWSBI Medium Nib (530)
Platinum Preppy Medium Nib (05)
Quill Standard Series Ruler Pad

NOTE: It's impossible to get color to show up the same on all monitors. Your monitor needs to be properly calibrated. when you throw a scanner in the mix it all goes to hell. The Baystate Blue Color is a Cobalt blue it really pops on paper. :001_tt1:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a link to a 600dpi scan you can download part of the image and do a close up of the ink and paper hope it helps.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/baystateblue3.jpg/

Last edited:
Is there a purplish hue? I love cobalt blues but don't care at all for nearly purple inks. Just asking since some claim it's almost purple and others don't, inks always look different on different computers. My holy grail for a blue ink would be something close to Parker's blue gel ink refills.

Last edited:
Is there a purplish hue? I love cobalt blues but don't care at all for nearly purple inks. Just asking since some claim it's almost purple and others don't, inks always look different on different computers. My holy grail for a blue ink would be something close to Parker's blue gel ink refills.

No purlple here....

Nice review. Does it come out of your pens ok or do you find that there is some left behind?

Well I just got into Fountain pens. So I have not really had a chance to finish what I loaded in them. I only have it on TWSBI 530 and Platinum Preppy. I did fiddle with my TWSBIs nib and took it appart. I emptied the ink out and I did not notice any type of staining if that is what you are refering too. There is also no Nib Creep and no Feathering with this ink. If you get it on your finguers it comes of by the next day. I did use a plastic seringe to load the ink in my pens. but thats made out of a flexy type plastic. I left it on my desk it did have ink sitting in it for a few days. I just washed it with some orange degreaser. The ink came off, I don't notice any type of staining or even a hue when put against the light.

I'm sure some of the reports are true that this ink will stain some plastics. I just don't think its will all plastics.

I've seen a large number of reports regarding BSB and staining, so I won't use it in an expensive pen. I like the vibrant color and do think that a Platinum Preppy is a perfect pen for it's use. I convert my Platinum Preppys to eyedroppers, and so far have not had a leakage failure (yet) YMMV.

---
Ken

I had it in my TWSBI for about 2 weeks. I just changed it out for another ink. Baystate completely washed off the Twsbi No issues at all.

Well, I have been infected and just bought a couple of the Platinum Preppies and an enormous bottle of the Bay State Blue, which includes a few pens, imagine that.
I also got the O rings and silicon stuff to convert them. I plan on filling them with other colors that I have on the way and I somehow rebel at the ink cartridge thingies.

Goulet had all that I was looking for.
Now I need a cool case to hold them in.

I am new to fountain pens in general, but I have to say that Baystate Blue is my favorite ink so far. Next I would like to try the Noodlers Heart of Darkness.

Got a sample of BSB and loaded it in my Hero 616. Two observations.

1. This is the most wonderful blue ever.

2. They aren't kidding that this is a bit of a pain. Seems to be reacting a bit with my nib such that when I start the pen it lays down a weird blue-green metal color, my Hero blotted for the first time ever, and I've got blue spots on my hands where I didn't scrub the damn pen barrel enough to get the ink off after loading.

Damn you, Nathan Tardif, for putting this choice to me!

Be gentle with your preppies. I've had them crack from nothing more than living in my pen case. My pen case never leaves my desk. Daggumit. They're pretty good writers and feel good in the hand. A good size. But I've had about five of the barrels crack at the threads for some reason.

Chiming in here as I have been using Bay State Blue for awhile now. Like Altair, I have it loaded in a Platinum Preppy and really like this ink. I'm a sucker for blue inks (Iroshizuku asa gao is excellent, too), and BSB is a vivid blue like no other. If asked how to describe the color, one word comes to mind....blue. One of the folks in my office brought me a document the other day for signature, she said, "Wow! What a blue!". Great stuff.

This review is helpful, I will order some Baystate Blue ink soon. I tried the Eternal Luxury blue and it looks a little "flat" on most paper. This one looks great.

Top Bottom