What's new

I love this guy's minimalist approach to shaving!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I got into this about two months ago and love it. But along the way, I got two scuttles (I live in two different places with a stocked shave den in each), three razors, a boat load of blades, several brushes, a cream or two, and various and sundry accessories.

I'm settling back down now, to two or three soaps, finding my one blade, getting my technique and process settled down.

Then I find this wonderful gent! No fancy nonsense, no overthinking it, you get in the bathroom, you grab your gear, you shave, quickly I might add, and you get on about your day!

The entire procedure, start to finish, including narration along the way? Under five minutes! I found this very refreshing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbbQjeZAgk

Right to the point, no doubt. It just goes to show that this whole thing need not be overly complicated.

On another note, I would be curious to know if others are using a cologne, a moisturizing cream and an aftershave (all 3) as part of their post-shave?

Right to the point, no doubt. It just goes to show that this whole thing need not be overly complicated.

On another note, I would be curious to know if others are using a cologne, a moisturizing cream and an aftershave (all 3) as part of their post-shave?

+1 that this hobby need not be complicated. I enjoy my shaves, but don't have tons of choices. To answer your question, I use aftershave and cologne, but not moisturizing cream.

I can not go cheek to neck in one stroke like that. He also does not subscribe to the "no pressure" theory of shaving either.

I really enjoyed this, thanks for posting it. He made me fee silly, perhaps gluttonous, especially since I have three new acquisitions sitting next to me.

In the end, it's really about the K.I.S.S. principle.

I don't think I'd enjoy that. Heck, it takes me longer than that to do my face prep (face lather). Well almost. :)

The entire shave thing at times do's seem somewhat ludicris,at least to me,but it is the Journey that is fun.
Oft times I have wondered what a total hoot it would be if someone started a tooth brushing forum.
Vintage tooth brushes,custom mades,pastes,powders,techniques,it would no question be a success:)

The guy has peach fuzz for a beard. It's not that easy for guys with thick wiry beards.

I agree, when you see a lot of these youtube videos, these guys have barely any growth whatsoever. You can also argue that they have such close shaves because of the DE/SE. I did come across a video once where he had a 3 or 4 day growth and shaved with a SE.

AS, Moisturiser and Cologne for me - with the occasional addition of a Stypic pencil or Alum:001_unsur

I've never heard of putting cologne on your face like that. I always spray my edt on my chest last, and first put on the balm, then the after shave. Also I'd get some serious irritation if I used that dry and thin coating of lather.

There's an argument for simplicity for newbies too - less variables means you can improve your technique knowing the effects of the changes you are making

Oft times I have wondered what a total hoot it would be if someone started a tooth brushing forum.
Vintage tooth brushes,custom mades,pastes,powders,techniques,it would no question be a success:)

The b/s/t on that forum would be great too! I can see it now, "Toothbrush, gently used by only 2 owners.".

It looked like he was using a fairly steep angle. It was an angle that, if I used it, I would have tons of irritation and lots of scrapes/red spots, etc., yet his skin looked fine.

He was moving so fast, though, that maybe it was hard to see the angle he was using.

Obviously a very experienced DE shaver, though. It's like the DE was a natural extension of his hand.

He obviously has been using a safety for quite a while, looked like a U.K. tech razor, different knurling pattern on handle-great razors!

Top Bottom