What's new

Enlarged/clogged pores

Now that I am spending more and more time staring at my face in the mirror, I have notice that I have lots of enlarged pores on my upper cheeks. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to clear this up?

:confused: Can you be more precise with the term "enlarged pores" ?

• Do you just mean 'enlarged' as in 'obviously visible' ?
  • Do you mean in some way inflammed or infected ?
  • Are you referring to odd whisker growth ?
A close-up photo might also help us understand...

:confused: Can you be more precise with the term "enlarged pores" ?

• Do you just mean 'enlarged' as in 'obviously visible' ?
  • Do you mean in some way inflammed or infected ?
  • Are you referring to odd whisker growth ?
A close-up photo might also help us understand...

By enlarged I mean "obviously visable". Lots of small and visable pin holes in my face. I believe the term for this may be "blackheads".

This is not an area of my face that grows wiskers and I doubt that anything is inflamed or infected.

Check out the "Oil Cleansing Method", and you'll find a way to minimize/get rid of blackheads and other nasty things, while making the skin overall much healthier compared to using soap and scrubs. YMMV, but it works for a suspiciously large number of people who gave it a try. Best - MM

I'm still not certain if your enlarged pores should be classed as "blackheads". Take a look at the following link and decide for yourself if what you are describing fits into that category:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_head

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/acnecomedones/a/comedones.htm

Of course, it is also possible that one does have skin pores that are "more open", "larger", "enlarged"... meaning that they are simply more apparent without actually being in any way filled with hardened oil, pus, or what have you (got a few of those, myself).

In any case, if simple cleansing and/or over-the-counter remedies don't help, you might do well to consult with a dermatologist. There are a number of things that they might be able to do which could perhaps minimize the effect.

What I have looks similar to the second picture....but not the raised bumps. What I have looks like the little black dots on the smooth part of the skin.

I may be getting to anal about this, I tend to do that.

BTW, I have a dermatology appointment next month to remove some facial moles.

I would relax for a month and then discuss this with the dermagologist during your planned visit. He/she can give you the best advice and/or assistance. :wink:

Remember, as you get older, you skin elasticity decreases and your pores look bigger. Some products containing Retin-A or other chemicals that stimulate skin can help, but eventually, it's a losing battle. Also, sun exposure and tanning beds greatly increase the effects of skin aging, so stay pale and use sunblock.

You normally start noticing the first effects of skin aging in your thirties.

Remember, as you get older, you skin elasticity decreases and your pores look bigger. Some products containing Retin-A or other chemicals that stimulate skin can help, but eventually, it's a losing battle. Also, sun exposure and tanning beds greatly increase the effects of skin aging, so stay pale and use sunblock.

You normally start noticing the first effects of skin aging in your thirties.

I've noticed a lot of changes now that I am in my thirties. I've heard with each decade, there is a new list of changes that can be expected.

At least I have something to look forward to.

Now that I am spending more and more time staring at my face in the mirror, I have notice that I have lots of enlarged pores on my upper cheeks. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to clear this up?

You can try microdermabrasion which can reduce pore size.

My daughter recommended a product called microdermx (a microdermabrasion product) which worked well for me. A bottle of the cream should last about 4 - 6 months if used once per week.

You can see before and after pictures at the Microdermx Web Site.

Top Bottom