What's new

3 Pieces DE assembly

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would like some help on creating a page in Wiki that would show, with pictures, the correct and incorrect way to install a DE blade in a 3 pieces razor. It's not the most frequent problem but if we could document the issue properly, I think it would be a great reference.

I do not own any DE razors anymore. I would like some pictures, if you can create the page directly in Wiki, I can assist in case of issues or please, post the pictures in here and I will take care of the rest.

im on it....I have a muhle 41 oc and a merkur travel cc razors. I will do a sequence shot like ur straight razor tutorial....where u want me to send the pics to when Im done?

Luc

Staff member
im on it....I have a muhle 41 oc and a merkur travel cc razors. I will do a sequence shot like ur straight razor tutorial....where u want me to send the pics to when Im done?

Ta, you can either post the pictures in this thread or directly in Wiki, whatever is easier! :thumbup1:

Starting with the 3 piece razor completely disassembled.
View attachment 164917
Carefully opening the new DE blade, and **Note, that I am carefully grabbing the blade by the edges, as not to cut myself.
$3-pc #2.jpg
Once I securely grab blade, I then place it over the 3 poles on the razor head cap, and let it drop into its natural position.
$3-pc #3.jpg
Now that the blade is seated correctly, I now attach the razor base/comb section to the razor head, creating the razor head assy. It too, matches up with the 3 poles, gently align the two pieces and allow them to drop right into place. *Make sure base plate is NOT upside down! *note to grab the base/comb plate from the sides, as not to expose your fingers to blade.
$3-pc #4.jpg
Another view of the razor head assembly, base plate attached CORRECTLY.
$3-pc #5.jpg

Last edited:
Below are pictured examples of incorrect assembly, in other words, the base plate being attached upside down, this is NO GOOD! :001_unsur
View attachment 165043View attachment 165044

More Pictures of razor fully assembled. Again, I included the Merkur example.
Left Picture, INCORRECT! Right Picture: CORRECTLY ATTACHED!
BAD $3-pc #12.jpg$3-pc #13.jpg

Last edited:
Here are 2 side profile pics, Left picture is INCORRECT (upside down), the Right picture is CORRECT
$3-pc #14.jpg$3-pc #15.jpg

Now, with the razor head assembly together, Its now time to attach the handle. I leave my head assembly on the counter. Being right handed I take my left hand and hold the razor head assy steady against the sink basin, carefully grasping the base plate on the sides, or on the bottom of plate, as to keep my fingers safely away from the blade once again. I apply slight downward pressure to the base plate, while simultaneously screwing the handle onto the threads. And remember lefty loosey, righty tighty.....It should take several turns, but eventually it will become tight. $3-pc #6.jpg
Now with everything securely attached, I roll it over and examine my blade edge. Im looking for eveness from side to side, then roll it to the other side and make sure its even as well. If not, I loosen the handle about 1 turn, and grasp the blade by the sides to make any necessary adjustments.

$3-pc #7.jpg
Heres another view of the DE blade from underneath the baseplate. Look how the blade is even/flush across the length of the blade, and not crooked, or more exposed on one side vs the other as well. As u can see, this one looks good to go!! I hope this helps. :thumbup1:
$3-pc #9.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Awesome, could you do the same but with the base plate upside down please?

check that last photo out. Is that what u were looking for, makes sense to me.

I was thinking about taking 2 more pics. I may intentionally make a blade excessively crooked to show the difference. One pic from top and one from bottom of base plate.

Last edited:
Why risk getting cut??? ALWAYS USE -

The SAFETY SLEEVE FOR ALL 3 PIECE RAZOR ASSEMBLY / DISASSEMBLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

• $Safety sleeve.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 199
I think Luc means upside down as in on backwards like you see often on eBay listings.

Well, ive actually added another picture to the post since Luc's last request. Its the very bottom picture. Its showing the "underneath" the base plate. I had another pic to go with it ,but I cant get it to upload for some reason. :confused1

What Luc is talking about is that some people actually install the base plate upside down; i.e., curving toward the ceiling.

I know it doesn't make any sense to you, but it happens often enough for beginners that Luc wants to illustrate both the incorrect and the correct way of putting the razor together. For these pictures, a blade wouldn't even be necessary; just the way the razor looks with the base plate right side up versus upside down.

What Luc is talking about is that some people actually install the base plate upside down; i.e., curving toward the ceiling.

I know it doesn't make any sense to you, but it happens often enough for beginners that Luc wants to illustrate both the incorrect and the correct way of putting the razor together. For these pictures, a blade wouldn't even be necessary; just the way the razor looks with the base plate right side up versus upside down.

ahhhh ok, gotcha, fully understand now. Thanks! Got the new correct pictures, just trying to upload and place them accordingly. Its a work in progress! :)

Last edited:
In order to emphasize the base-plate on upside-down, could you take a profile view of the wrong and right installations? That would make it easier to see the difference.

In order to emphasize the base-plate on upside-down, could you take a profile view of the wrong and right installations? That would make it easier to see the difference.

Ok, I will add a profile view of incorrect baseplate attachment. Anything else?

UPDATE: Side profile pics added, Incorrect, and correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom