What's new

Your thoughts on Simpson's brushes?

I'm still in the market for a higher grade badger brush to replace my Fendrihan. I was looking at Simpson's brushes in Best and Super Badger, probably in a size 3 (21+ mm knot). What's the general opinion of them? I switch between face lathering and bowl/scuttle lathering depending on the soap I choose to use on a given day. Thanks in advance.

Love for Simpson is pretty unanimous here. About the only bad thing you could say about them is they're expensive. They are definitely classic--everyone should have at least one!

I love them. And if you consider Simpsons Best to be roughly equal to Rooney Super (as I do), they aren't too bad price wise. Certainly no more than Shavemac and Thäter offerings. Easily less than Plisson.

I've owned both Best and Super and I greatly prefer the Best, as do many of the members here.

They're great brushes. Most of their brushes have great backbone, dense knots and very soft tips. I must mention that they're not known for their quality control, akin to Merkur razors.

Last edited:
Yep, you should own a Simpsons brush. Best value is the Colonel X2L best.

Best is better (for me) than 3-band Super, but 2-band Super is better than both the other grades, and worth the price, in my opinion.

And if you consider Simpsons Best to be roughly equal to Rooney Super (as I do), they aren't too bad price wise.

Is this generally well known and accepted? I just got my 1st Simpson, a Case in best, and I've noticed that the hair seems softer than my Rooney in Super, not that my Rooney is rough, the Simpsons best is just so soft, I can't really imagine what their super is like.

Is this generally well known and accepted? I just got my 1st Simpson, a Case in best, and I've noticed that the hair seems softer than my Rooney in Super, not that my Rooney is rough, the Simpsons best is just so soft, I can't really imagine what their super is like.

The Super (3-band) is not much better, and certainly not worth the premium.

The Rooney Super does improve slightly with use.

Hate to say it, but I'm not a fan. I've owned a few and only kept 1, which is a Wee Scot. I've seen more asymmetrical/pointy/wonky knots on Simpson brushes than from any other manufacturer. Simpson's quality control really worries me, but if you can find a good one, their best grade hair is great. Maybe I just ran across a few lemons, but that was enough to put me off. Most folks seem to love them, so if you feel like it, roll the dice.

-Andy

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If you are looking for a great Simpson that works well for both face and bowl lathering I would suggest the Duke 3, the 57 and the Colonel.

Bought a few recently...i think I'm going to keep the duke 3...the berkley is nice, but I prefer the duke, the wee scot and case are just too small, and the colonel is nice, but like the berkley, I prefer the duke to it.

That being said, none of them are bad, and I very much like the best grade hair.

They're great brushes. Most of their brushes have great backbone, dense knots and very soft tips. I must mention that they're not known for their quality control, akin to Merkur razors.

no problem with the performance of the brushes (on my 2nd one, but only short term), but the lettering is really annoying.

it started coming out of my Duke, not i've owned a Colonel for a week and the lettering is almost gone :confused1 i soak it in my scuttle during my shower, but that's it.

Simpson makes some very good quality brushes. There are very few (if any) bad models, however with all of the variation it can be intimidating to figure out what is the right one for you. If you want a middle of the road brush the Duke, Colonel, and Persian Jar are all good brushes. If you wanted a uber soap/face lather monster the Chubby is as good as it gets.

My only gripe with Simpson brushes is that sometimes the quality control is a bit lax and you get some odd shaped knots. However The Superior Shave takes individual photo's of their stock, so you know exactly what your getting from them. On the other side of the quality coin is the fact that if you wanted a brush that is slightly different than "spec" you might be able to find it if you ask around. For example if you wanted a fan shaped brush instead of a bulb or the other way around.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Simpson makes some very good quality brushes. There are very few (if any) bad models, however with all of the variation it can be intimidating to figure out what is the right one for you. If you want a middle of the road brush the Duke, Colonel, and Persian Jar are all good brushes. If you wanted a uber soap/face lather monster the Chubby is as good as it gets.

My only gripe with Simpson brushes is that sometimes the quality control is a bit lax and you get some odd shaped knots. However The Superior Shave takes individual photo's of their stock, so you know exactly what your getting from them. On the other side of the quality coin is the fact that if you wanted a brush that is slightly different than "spec" you might be able to find it if you ask around. For example if you wanted a fan shaped brush instead of a bulb or the other way around.

True, the knots can look quite odd from brush to brush of the same model. But, there are also other companies, like Rooney and Shavemac that make excellent brushes.

GeauxLSU,

+1 on the Simpsons' Colonel X2L in Best.

I have found it to be a super brush and well priced too :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

+1 Again on the Colonel, I love mine.

However, what people say is true about the somewhat significant variances from 1 brush to the next, I bought my from the superior shave, as they take individual pics of each brush so you see exactly what you're getting, which is great.

Andy- which brushes do you prefer?

Hate to say it, but I'm not a fan. I've owned a few and only kept 1, which is a Wee Scot. I've seen more asymmetrical/pointy/wonky knots on Simpson brushes than from any other manufacturer. Simpson's quality control really worries me, but if you can find a good one, their best grade hair is great. Maybe I just ran across a few lemons, but that was enough to put me off. Most folks seem to love them, so if you feel like it, roll the dice.

-Andy

Top Bottom