What's new

Your thoughts on Simpson's brushes?

Knots not as advertised, knots with different forms on one side of the brush, hair loss. Not saying they are no good as tons of people love theirs, maybe I was just unlucky.

Knots not as advertised, knots with different forms on one side of the brush, hair loss. Not saying they are no good as tons of people love theirs, maybe I was just unlucky.
Thank you. I have never experienced any problems and have been using Simpsons brushes for a number of years.

I've seen similar from other makers, not all. I'll give them credit though, they are upfront about their manufacturing process and easy to get in touch with and purchase. No waiting lists or jumping through hoops to get one.

I've asked a maker about their knots and handles and didn't get so much as a reply, let alone an answer. I was completely ignored after numerous emails.
Thank you. I have never experienced any problems and have been using Simpsons brushes for a number of years.
No issues with mine either. My M7 is still one of my top Brushes and perhaps my best performer.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Of the 6 Simpsons I currently own, 1 Super, 5 Best, all are world class, problem free brushes. Same to be said for the other 10+ that I owned and PIFed.

My thoughts about Simpsons are that they are hugely overpriced and that they do a lot for the wetshaving community. They're really expensive ambassadors.

Recently purchased chubby 2 synthetic. Fantastic brush but it does not want to splay or I shoukd say it will splay with a lot of pressure.
Have been using it for several weeks now and have not seen any improvement. Any thoughts or comments would be a big help. I should add that the loft appears to be around 27 x 50.

I have a Chubby 1 in super badger and a Duke 3 in two band best. No doubt they are top quality brushes. However, when considering price/quality they are too expensive. There are other manufacturers who offer very good price/quality ratios.

Recently purchased chubby 2 synthetic. Fantastic brush but it does not want to splay or I shoukd say it will splay with a lot of pressure.
Have been using it for several weeks now and have not seen any improvement. Any thoughts or comments would be a big help. I should add that the loft appears to be around 27 x 50.

My recommendation would be to stop trying to splay it. Just use the tips (paintbrush strokes on the face are best) and build your lather. The brush becomes incredibly rewarding used this way. I'd love for the loft to be increased so that the flow through would improve, not so much to splay it more.

Thank you paintfinger. Tried this the other day and it seemed like the lather just never got very thick or slick compared to using my Saville Row. Water in Tucson is hard but I usually load the brush for at least a minute and have gotten pretty good results. However I really want to like this brush so I will give it a few more tries.

Thank you paintfinger. Tried this the other day and it seemed like the lather just never got very thick or slick compared to using my Saville Row. Water in Tucson is hard but I usually load the brush for at least a minute and have gotten pretty good results. However I really want to like this brush so I will give it a few more tries.

Sometimes it's worth squeezing lather out of a not into your palm and then lathering it back into the knot to mix it a bit better. Messier, but it works.

Top Bottom