What's new

Your thoughts on Simpson's brushes?

This is an old thread, but since it was bumped, I'll add my 2 cents from the last time I posted in it. I hate to admit it, but my Butterscotch Manchurian M7 has turned out to be one of the best brushes I have ever owned or used.

I'm not sure if all the Manchurians are like this, but mine from a couple years ago, has no scritch and no scrub, just the way I like it. The handle speaks for itself and is flawless. I have other brushes with more sentimental value, cost/performance may be better, funkier colors (disco etc) but the M7 is likely my best overall brush.

I have 2 Manchurians, a "Hive" and a "Jubilee." The Hive was one of the earlier limited editions they used to showcase the Manchurian knots, and I find it to be a bit too dense with a loft a bit too low for me. It's not my favorite brush. The Jubilee, however, is a later model brush and is, frankly, an ideal combination of density and loft. In the time between the Hive and Jubilee, Mark and his team really optimized the knot parameters to have a soft-tipped brush with backbone, but exceptional flowthrough for a dense brush. If I were still in the market for brushes, I'd buy another Manchurian in a heartbeat.

I now have 5 simpsons, and they are all I use. I have Chubby 1 & 2, Duke 2 & 3 and a classic 2 all in best badger. I don't need them all but I wouldn't get rid of any of them. They all are my favorites when I use them. Right now the Chubby 2 just keeps getting better and better as it gets more broken in.

I have a Chubby 2 in best, it's a fantastic brush I love the iconic looks and the face feel is pure luxury. I've just ordered the synthetic version too.

I have four Simpson brushes right now:

Berkeley in Best (my very first brush, which I still use)
Persian Jar 2 in Best
Duke 3 in Manchurian
M7 in Manchurian

I would have to say over the years Simpsons has become my favorite brush maker. I hope to add a Chubby 2 or 3 to my line up one day.

I have two. A pj3 in super and an m7 manchurian. Both great brushes and I enjoy using both. Neither has been an excessive shedder, I'm sure they have shed a hair or three during use.

I have Duke 2. I really enjoy it. Plenty of backbone and just a little scritch. They probably are overpriced. I got mine more for nostalgic reasons. But I do enjoy lathering with it. I have a EJ BB. Is the Simpson worth the additional $50.00 from a performance stand point. I don't think so. Yet, there is enough difference in performance that I basically have retired the EJ.

My second brush was a Simpsons Colonel X2L. I wanted a Simpsons just because... The brush was a shedder, but its replacement is doing fine (thanks WCS!).

It's a nice brush, well made, dense, with a nice backbone. But I'm not going to buy any more Simpsons...I just want to have several different makers, so no repeats.

I actually prefer my EJ best and my Shavemac finest to the Simpsons Colonel.

Would I buy another Simpsons if I didn't have any? Yes... but it would probably be a Duke.

My Berkeley in best is a great brush. Just the right amount of scritch. Perfect for face lathering. For around $50 it's a steal.

I have never owned a Simpson and never will. They are over priced (IMHO) and all look a like to my eye. That being said, they are a popular brush as you can see. Hope you find what works for you.

You might be missing out on something. I agree that the more expensive Simpsons tend to be overpriced but IMO the cheaper ones in best (Special, Berkeley, Wee Scot, Commodore) are really a lot of brush for the money.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I finally got a Wee Scot and so far am a little disappointed. It has way too many trimmed hairs. It's way too scratchy and irritating.

I'm glad I ordered a Commodore at the same time. It is everything I expected it to be and am very pleased with it.

If I had ordered the Wee Scot first, I may have never gotten the Commodore, since they both are "best badger" the hair should be the same, with the Wee Scot just being smaller. Based on the descriptions, I would have reasoned that all Simpson "best badger" would be the same.

I bought a used Commodore last year that was a shedder. Got rid of it after 3 months. This April I bought a new Duke 2 in best off Amazon (had a gift card) which has become my favorite brush. Then got a Special in pure as a travel brush. Both have worked out well so far.

Top Bottom