What's new

Laundry soap?

I didn't know where else to put this thread, so here it is.

Considering real soaps tend to work better for the skin than detergent based body washes (IMO), I was wondering if some kind of real soap based laundry product would work better for cleaning clothes.

I've used Surf for years b/c it's one of the most inexpensive detergents, doesn't fade my clothes like some products, and I don't know if this is true but I've been told is one of the only detergents that will wash completely out of your clothes.

But now I think All has bought Surf b/c the bottles the same but now the major brand is All w/a little surf in the corner. I've never had good luck w/All. Used it during college and it made my clothes fade quickly. And recently my wife picked up a bottle of All clean & clear super concentrated (you use about 1/3 of a regular amount of detergent) and I'm already noticing my clothes fading.

We also use a softener, and we like to stick w/liquid laundry products b/c we almost always wash our clothes in cold water. It's more energy efficient, tends to help w/fading, and powders don't always dissolve. At least this has happened w/the few I've tried.

So, what's everyone's opinion? Are detergent based laundry products better than soap based? And if so, is there a decently priced soap based liquid laundry soap out there that will get my clothese clean AND not make colors fade?

I was considering Nancy Boy, but it's a powder and a bit expensive IMO. 30 loads for $15 is a lot compared to the cost per load of the grocery store stuff. So is there anything in between?

~Joshua

Me and my family have used tide for a few decades or so. Never any issues. I like the liquid, my mom likes the powder. Some things shouldn't be overthought. Unless you are having skin reactions to the detergent, that is.

Nancy Boy laundry soap or 7th Generation is what I use along with a color safe bleach.

While $15 for NB is a lot, the container lasts much longer than I expected at first. I pretty much went 4 to 5 months of regular use before I hit the bottom of the bucket.

I'm not trying to overthink this. I just don't want my clothes to fade, and I want them to be clean and smell good.

I literally have two or three fairly new polos and jeans that have noticably faded over the past month. I don't want my clothes ruined while I test out different detergents.

Tinzien, taking what you said into consideration, I may try NB soap. The site says 30 loads per bucket, but if I can stretch it, it might offset the actual cost.

Anybody just use regular ol' Borax? I'm wondering if that would be better or worse on my clothes. It's listed as an ingredient in NB, and I believe is available at Target.

~Joshua

Regarding the fading, do you wash your polos in cold water? If not, you might try that.

For products, I have used both Purex and Bio-Kleen liquid laundry detergents for many years without issue. We have a lot of black, navy blue, and red colored clothing, so fading would be noticed.

This may be obvious, but some laundry detergents include chlorine as a component. I don't know about the two you are using. Not necessarily related to the fading, but you might consider ditching the fabric softeners (both liquid and sheets) in favor of white vinegar (5%). Placed in the fabric softener dispenser of your washing machine. For detergents that don't rinse free and to remove the accumulated softeners from your clothes, the vinegar will assist the fabric to release and rinse free. Try this on your bath towels and you will begin to notice a difference in the feel (softer) and thirstiness (I believe I made up that word).

Borax is a great laundry booster (I keep a box in the laundry room), but unless the fabrics are especially dirty, I don't find the need with the products mentioned above.

I wash in tide, cold water for colors. I use the delicate cycle except for towels/jeans or really dirty laundry. I've never noticed any fading. Might you have especially hard water? If so, a whole house softner might do the trick.

Borax or Biz are great on really dirty clothes in addition to the detergent.

Unless you two have hard water, I doubt I do, considering we all live in the same area and most likely share the same water supply.

We always wash all our colors in cold water, every once in a while I'll do a load of whites w/warm or hot water.

I've heard of the addition of vinegar, but heard it was to help prevent clothes from fading. If it helps w/detergent releasing from fabric, this might solve both my problems.

thanks fellas.

~Joshua

I've used Tide and Gain for years and don't really seem to have any trouble.

The fiance and I decided we would try the NB sometime this summer to see if it's worth the extra $.

If you are worried about your clothes fading and changing shape you should look at that new Cheer True Fit. I've been getting that for a few months now and it seems to do what it says and the scent is great! I actually stand their and smell my clothes like an idiot just like in the commercials. It's not real spendy either.

I use liquid Tide HE because I have a high efficiency washer. It's been Tide all of my life, I see no reason to change to something else.

Top Bottom