What's new

NEWB: Cream, Soap or Both?

I am new here, so I have a few questions before I jump into the deep end of the pool. There is a lot of information out there to digest and while I know I will make some mistakes along the way, I would like to gain as much information as I could before beginning my journey.

One of the many questions that I have is why do some choose cream or soap? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two? Let's face it, there are many products on both sides of the fence and while I would assume that neither one is better than the other, some do have a preference. Why? What leads you to choose one over the other? Does one last longer? Is one easier to use? Is one milder in fragrance versus the other? Is one slicker? What exactly is it that leads you to choose one over the other? (And yes, I know there are some, if not many, that use both... :001_smile)

So if you have a moment, please jot down a few thoughts on the subject from your point of view. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge that you could bestow on a new shaver such as myself.

Thank you.

[If there is a thread(s) that already discusses this subject I apologize for the redundant post.]

Give both a try.

I started with creams and love them. When I switched to straights I followed everyones advice and tried soaps with great success.

I have found that if I'm using a DE, creams work far better and I get much less irritation. I'm not really sure why.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Agreed on Drew, try both. IMO, shaving creams are easier to work with than shaving soap. Both will give you the same results. I prefer soaps myself.

Agree to try both, creams are easier to get to lather and probably best to start with, it gives you a good idea of how it should be when a soap is properly done. Soft soaps are a little easier to get the hang of than hard soaps IMHO. Also keep in mind that your particular water will work with some better than others.

I started with VDH soap,and it was pretty good for 3 or 4 shaves. The lather didn't seem right FOR ME, though and I was getting nicks and cuts. I tried KMF and the shaves were more comfortable, but the lather still wasn't quite right FOR ME and I was still getting nicks and cuts. I put the two together and found CCS, and DFS without nicks and cuts.
Uberlather, Baby.

It's just what you prefer. Some soaps aren't made in a cream, some creams aren't made in a soap. The only choice there would be to use what's made or not.

I've seen some that are so loaded with scent it was immediate nasal overload, and some that are mildly scented in both soaps and creams. It's all what the mfgr makes, and again what you prefer. OK, but that sometimes doesn't mean anything, 'cause I can add a mess of my homemade Bay Rum to Williams or VDH for instance and completely change the scent. I do believe I've seen unscented soaps/creams available too that are intended for ones own scent to be added.

So far I haven't found any that don't do what their intended job is, but I'm still fairly new to this.

It's definitely a case of YMMV.

It's a common thing around here to read about folks starting off with cream and for whatever reason switching to soaps. I have done the same thing. I still enjoy great shaves with Musgo & Proraso, but they see about 1 out of every 5 shaves. I think with some great soaps being inexpensive and a $10 tube of Proraso or Bigelows if you have a Bath & Body Works around would be a good start so you can see what you personally think.

I agree with the general consensus - try both.

My experience has not been nearly as polarizing as some people on the board seems to have been. I don't even usually think about how I prefer one to the other (that said, I own more soaps than creams).

Selecting the most appropriate contenders amongst the collection of soaps and creams - and the best of the wonderful brushes to whip it into a lovely lather - is the highlight of the shave, for me. Testing a few of the possibilities with a delicate waft, then opening up an old friend for a visit - that's what truly separates the Wet Shavers from the Spreaders of Goo.

Buy a large selection - or possibly a large selection of samples, I believe Gary's Sample store (in the vendors section) has just about anything you could want - and try everything, in my opinion.

:w00t:careful..you are on a slipprey slope that leads to a bottomless pit of smooth shaves and a genral case of rad,,have fun ,enjoy the ride,stop to smell the roses,try as many as you can.so what if everyone thinks you've lost it,they just have'nt found it yet:jump:

Top Bottom