What's new

PIF: Small Blade Sampler for Newbies

proxy.php

2 Derby, 2 Isreali Personna, 2 Dorco 301, 2 Bluebird, 1 each of Shark, Red Personna, Astra SP, Feather.

I would like these blades to go to a newbie who joined within the last couple months and has not tried most of these yet.

Just post your interest in this thread and I will pick a winner randomly on Monday night.

Great PIF:thumbup:, I've got to round up some blades soon and give back to this place thats given me so much....

I'd love to try one of those. While I started straight shaving a month ago, my first DE razor is still on its way, so I haven't tried any blade so far.

And great PIF for us newbies. Thanks! :D

I've never even seen any of those, yet alone tried any. I would love to try it out on my newly B&B: BST acquired merkur

So, I just started with this after buying a Super Speed at an antique store this week. I found the Wilkinson Sword blades at Wal-mart and I was happy with how those worked for me. Is there that much of a difference between blades? I mean, I shaved and the whiskers went away with no blood.

I don't mean to start a holy war, but I guess what I am wondering is if I am happy with a particular brand of blades, is there a reason to try others, or was I lucky enough to find a blade that works with my face the first time? I am willing to give other brands a try if you think that there are better blades.

So, I just started with this after buying a Super Speed at an antique store this week. I found the Wilkinson Sword blades at Wal-mart and I was happy with how those worked for me. Is there that much of a difference between blades? I mean, I shaved and the whiskers went away with no blood.

I don't mean to start a holy war, but I guess what I am wondering is if I am happy with a particular brand of blades, is there a reason to try others, or was I lucky enough to find a blade that works with my face the first time? I am willing to give other brands a try if you think that there are better blades.

If you like the Wilkinson blades, that's great. Cheap and easy to find locally. Some people find certain blades don't work well for them, such as the Wal-Mart Wilkies. There are more well-regarded blades out there but better for you is tough to say. Blades tend to be a YMMV topic.

If you like the Wilkinson blades, that's great. Cheap and easy to find locally. Some people find certain blades don't work well for them, such as the Wal-Mart Wilkies. There are more well-regarded blades out there but better for you is tough to say. Blades tend to be a YMMV topic.
Thanks for the reply. I figured that blade selection is a very personal thing. I think I am fortunate in that I don't have particularly sensitive skin, and have very light facial hair. I could probably sharpen a piece of flint and get by :)

I will probably stay with the cheapies for now until I get more experience, and then give some of the others a try when I know more.

I'm interested in the free sampler. I just joined on May 7th. I have only used Feather Blades so far.

Last edited:
I'm interested! I'll be out of the Derby blades I bought when I first started before long, looking to try and find my ideal blade after that. Looks like a great selection.

Would love the samples as I am about to take the plunge with a DE for the first time after only finding this forum on Saturday and registering yesterday (7th May).
Reading this forum has given me the confidence to move away from cartridge and electric shaving after more than 45 years of disappointing shave results.
Even now though with a cartridge shaver I am getting better results after following a few tips from the forum.
Thanks guys!
Richard

Thank you for your generosity and please count me in as well. I haven't tried any of these blades. I've been using Merkur blades since I started wetshaving last month and will continue on them for another month or two.

Top Bottom