What's new

PIF: Small Blade Sampler for Newbies

This would be perfect! I am just beginning, and have not yet gotten all the things I need...like, oh, a razor. But soon! Very soon! Blades to put in it are helpful, as I understand it. :001_rolle

I have only used WalMart Wilkinsons and Merkurs so far and am looking for some recommendations for what to buy next (and where). This would be perfect for me. Please count me in! Thank you!!! :thumbup:

Greetings and Salutations....I am new to the forums, but have been scraping my face for several years. My life long pattern has been to wet on weekends and electric on weekdays, however have been researching lately about making my own face care products and learned about pre oiling for wet shaving. Well I have not used the electric since. Bought a merkur classic today and I am very interested in experimenting with blades. By the look of your original posting date you may have already picked your winner, however it the draw remains on, please include me. I have been dying to try out a feather, but have yet to locate them locally.

Another great resource for blade samplers is West Coast Shaving. I was just there on Saturday and got to put together my own custom sampler!

I don't mean to start a holy war, but I guess what I am wondering is if I am happy with a particular brand of blades, is there a reason to try others, or was I lucky enough to find a blade that works with my face the first time? I am willing to give other brands a try if you think that there are better blades.

It's less a question of whether there are better blades, than are there better blades for *you*.

I was a bit skeptical of trying lots of different blades. Started with Merkur (not sharp enough for my liking) and Feather. I thought I was sold on Feather but realized after more use that they are too sharp for me.

I read somewhere that when it comes to the quality of the shave, 30% is the razor and 70% is the blade. That being the case, blade costs being the least expensive component to purchase, the wide variety of blades available, and the fact that it seems to be YMMV - it can only benefit you to find the blade that truly works best for you.

Count me in as well. I just came back to DE shaving a couple of weeks ago and activated my membership this evening. So far I'm using blades from the dollar store - they say Made in USA, so I'm guessing Personna? Anyhow, the sampler would be a real nice addition to my beginner toolbox!

Dana

And the results:

True Random Number Generator

Min:
Max:
Result: