What's new

Cologne VS Aftershave

Been shaving with a DE for about two weeks now and HOOKED for life. I feel so great after a shave. I have two colognes that I really like but unsure if that's what I should use after a good shave. Do I need to buy a good aftershave or can I stay with the cologne?

You could use some after shave balm with little or no scent and splash a few drops of your fave cologne together with it.

The function of a proper aftershave is not scent, it's to heal and protect the skin. So yes, you should try an aftershave :001_smile

There are balms and splashes. The latter have alcohol in them, the former have not. Balms tend to be easier on the skin, although all aftershaves can leave a burning sensation.

All aftershaves (bar unscented ones) have scent though. Though with less binding agent (alcohol) in them, the scent doesn't last very long compared to cologne.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I do have a Feather balm that is uncented and I really like. However I don't have dry skin and feel the alcohol helps to dry it out a bit. So it's ok to combine the two?

I posted a similar response in a different thread. If I want to put on a cologne, I will use witch hazel first, then cologne. If not, I will use TSD AS which has witch hazel and other nice things. TSD has many flavors to choose from, but they do not have much longevity. It's nice to mix up on days I don't want to stink up the town.

I'm a fan of Trumpers Skin Food. While they have different scents to them, they are not long lasting and don't interfere with my fragrance (which is usually EdT).

Since I have a major scent collection, I've always leaned towards balms for my face after I shave- usually lightly scented if scented at all.

Been shaving with a DE for about two weeks now and HOOKED for life. I feel so great after a shave. I have two colognes that I really like but unsure if that's what I should use after a good shave. Do I need to buy a good aftershave or can I stay with the cologne?

Wait till you start using a straight... :thumbup1:

I have a few scented AS and balms, but my go to is AoS unscented. It seems to work with pretty much.... everything :)

When I use a scented AS such as Alt Innsbruck, I typically don't mix it with a cologne. That said, many AS splashes and balms have very little scent to them that fade quickly, but I don't want to take the chance of it not working well with my SOTD.

Top Bottom