What's new

Newbie's shaving diary

Dear B&B,

After lurking I decided to register and post here on this informative site.

I'm 21 years old, been shaving for around 5/6 years now, with alot of problems. Compared with peers and friends I think I have a pretty rough beard. I started out with cheap disposable blades in holders. They hurt my skin and I got alot of bumps and razor burn. Then I got my dad's old Philips electrical shaver, It solved some of the problems but got me a dry non-smooth skin. Then I got a offer for a new Philips electrical shaver, with the Philips/Nivea coolskin substance. Been using that for over a year now and had good and bad times with it. Ofcourse it's not BBS but acceptable, I started shaving daily with it but recently I've been getting alot of bumps and grown-in hairs which I remove with tweezers. I decided to research the matter a little and wanted to get the most recent Gilette shaving system, until I found out that there are alternatives.

In summary, now I'm using cheap unbranded shaving gel (normal skin) + Philips coolskin in the shower + Gilette aftershave. I think the only good current thing that really helps is the Gilette aftershave, it feels really great and smooth after putting it on and removes the red razor burn.

So after reading about shaving I composed a (shopping) list:

Bowl (use soup bowl)
Merkur 34C
Feather double sided blades
Proraso cream or soap normal skin or De Vergulde Hand soap (review here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=D&t=10722) or Tabac shaving soap/cream
Alum block (any brand, I use 'Kruidvat')
One of the cheaper Omega brushes, got one but it's old I think, will do for now
Tweezers
Proraso pre/post shaving cream
Nivea sensitive balm (white bottle) (because my Gilette is almost depleted)
Dior Fahrenheit eau de toilette (review here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=F&t=169478), Cheap Mexx eau de toilette, Tabac cologne (remember my dad using it!)

Items in BOLD are already obtained. I found some shops here in The Netherlands and I can get all those products and hardware.

I plan to transition as follows. First I don't shave for 2/3 days to give my skin some rest and then start using the products from my shopping list following the guidelines in the (very informative!) wiki here. Before going to bed in the evening I carefully wash my face with cold water (especially now in the summer) to give acne less chance. I will try to update this OP frequently.

Tips, feedback and comments are very, very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

Welcome to the B! You've done good research. I have two comments.

1. Get a blade sampler for starters. You will find some blades fit your style better than others.

2. Hand soap? Tabac or Proraso will be much better. Practice lathering skills without shaving.

Have fun with this adventure!

Hey Eric, thanks for your post and the welcome.

Will try to find a blade sampler most definately.
And as for the soap, the brand name is "De vergulde hand" which translates to, The Golden Hand. It's just a brand name, I think it's regular shaving soap, I added the B&B review for verification.

Practice lathering skills without shaving. Have fun with this adventure!

What do you think?

Gear
proxy.php

Lather prepared in bowl
proxy.php

Lather on brush
proxy.php

Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Your lather looks too airy and wet. Try using more product and a tad bit less water. Using more product solves 99% of lathering problems :thumbup1:

Will post pics of another batch soon, will remove some water from the brush before loading it with soap and try adding drops of water if I see it's too dry when the product is in my bowl. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hey Jim,

Welcome to the B! You've done good research. I have two comments.

1. Get a blade sampler for starters. You will find some blades fit your style better than others.

2. Hand soap? Tabac or Proraso will be much better. Practice lathering skills without shaving.

Have fun with this adventure!

+1

Welcome to B&B!

DVH is a very good soap IMO. It's one of those dirt cheap works well. Practice your lather with it as much as you can. The tutorials are here if required: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Lathers

Welcome. The best way to judge lather IMO is to rub it with your fingers. If it feels smooth and lubricated then give it a go.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at this post. It provides an excellent road map to your shaving needs.

Also, take a look at the wikis on this site. The one on lather is particularly helpful.

Thanks for the welcome ackvil. I read alot of the wiki and stickies here and tried practicing on the lather. I composed a shopping list with the following items:

Merkur 34C
Sampler blades pack (Derby, Merkur, Timor, Feather)
Proraso pre/post shave
Proraso shaving cream
One of the cheaper Omega brushes

I'd like to have my shopping list reviewed before I jump the boat and purchase my first DE gear, any feedback is much appreciated.

Also, I will keep practicing making lather

Last edited:
Your second lather looks a LOT better than your first.

I think the key is to start with a dry-ish brush, load it well, and then add water little by little, incorporating the water fully before adding more, until you get the consistency you want.

Keep up the good work.:thumbup1:

As a note on your lather, I find it really helps my lather if I make sure that the lather bowl is also warm. (I fill the sink with really hot water and throw my bowl and brush in there while I shower). The warm shaving bowl definitely helps a good lather in my opinion.

I am also a recent DE convert, and I think that you will be pleasantly surprised when you begin actually shaving. Waiting for a few days for your face to heal is a good plan though. Shaving over previous ingrown hairs/irritation is not going to be a good test for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks alot for your reply, nice to see a fellow DE convert. I plan to leave my beard growing for a few days to get my skin healed up.
As for now, I'm still researching and waiting for feedback for which products and hardware to buy. Specifically the brush.

Top Bottom