What's new

Beach Footwear

Gentlemen, I seek some opinions on what footwear to get for a beach/resort setting. I am not a huge fan of sandals or flip-flops, so I have about zero experience with these things outside of some shower sandals from college. Yet, with a 10 day vacation at a resort in the fall, I figured I should probably get something. Ideally, I would get something I may use before and after the vacation.

I've been thinking of a pair of suede Birkenstock Arizonas. Besides the "hippie" stereotype, I've heard they are very comfortable and will last. I also think they look good. I'd get a nice brown suede or the dark brown leather. Then again, they aren't cheap, and I probably wouldn't want to get some salt water on them.

I know sandals like Tevas or Merrells might be best suited for it, but I wouldn't wear them in public outside of the vacation. I just think they look terrible, no matter how "functional" they may be.

So any other suggestions? I also have a pair of boat shoes coming, which would be inexpensive enough that I wouldn't mind ruining them with sand and salt, but for a tropical climate I probably want the sandal.

Birkenstock's never die...my mother handed down the ones she'd been wearing since before I was born to me, and they still won't die! And I've tried...

Keens

I'd avoid suede or leather on the beach. If they get full of sand, you (or, more accurately, I) want something I can rinse off and not worry about.

I have a pair of VFFs and a pair of Soft Star RunAmocs.
I prefer the RunAmocs (from Soft Star Shoes) because they are actually less restrictive (with a wide toe box to splay toes) than the VFFs.

Both are good choices but as what Justin of Birthdayshoes said, those new FILA skele-toes does remind me of Skeletor!

The ultimate in casual beach footwear...lace up brogues! (Just kidding).

proxy.php

I always wear Reef flip flops on the beach and Sperry canvas deck shoes around the resort. If I'm going to dinner, I like to wear a nice pair of leather cole haan sandals with cotton/linen pants.

proxy.php

VFFs don't work well on the beach - sand gets inside from the top and can't get out, voice of experience here.

For a resort vacation you need two pairs of sandals

Something casual but 'dressy' that you wear with slacks to dinner, preferably leather

proxy.php

Something that you can wear in the water, preferably closed heal so you can climb over rocks, hop on and off boats, splash in the surf, etc without them falling off.

proxy.php

I love Chacos. I've never had anything but good luck with them. Their leather sandals look fairly nice with a pair of khaki shorts and still work with a swim suit.

Gentlemen, I seek some opinions on what footwear to get for a beach/resort setting. I am not a huge fan of sandals or flip-flops, so I have about zero experience with these things outside of some shower sandals from college. Yet, with a 10 day vacation at a resort in the fall, I figured I should probably get something. Ideally, I would get something I may use before and after the vacation.

I've been thinking of a pair of suede Birkenstock Arizonas. Besides the "hippie" stereotype, I've heard they are very comfortable and will last. I also think they look good. I'd get a nice brown suede or the dark brown leather. Then again, they aren't cheap, and I probably wouldn't want to get some salt water on them.

I know sandals like Tevas or Merrells might be best suited for it, but I wouldn't wear them in public outside of the vacation. I just think they look terrible, no matter how "functional" they may be.

So any other suggestions? I also have a pair of boat shoes coming, which would be inexpensive enough that I wouldn't mind ruining them with sand and salt, but for a tropical climate I probably want the sandal.

You aren't far from Virginia Beach. Don't you have some deck pants and boat shoes already? For shame!

I have been to Leesburg. Nice town. Lots of history. Not enough beach culture. If you don't want to wear a powdered wig to the beach, perhaps you can just go there and buy whatever the natives are wearing.

I know you said no flip-flops, but you just can't beat a pair of Reef flip-flops for beach wear. I've got a pair that lasted 6 seasons at Virginia Beach before I moved away - they're still going strong with less wear since we moved to TN.

If you just can't do the flip flops, the original style Sperry Topsiders are indestructable - even in salt water.

I've got Birkenstocks in addition to my Reefs, and the Birks would not do as well as Sperrys in saltwater. The Sperrys are cheaper to boot.

Top Bottom