What's new

Geocachers?

man, i didn't do much geocaching at all this year...camping, canoeing, cycling, kayaking....but not much geocachaing.

GPSmap 62S is my weapon of choice.

I've wanted to do some geocaching, but haven't had time. I have a Garmin etrex Vista HCX, which works reasonably well, but I find the user interface pretty annoying. I mostly use it for hunting (mark the car, mark my treestand, etc).

Delorme Earthmate PN-60 with the SPOT.

Team KAG is our Geocaching ID.

Only been at it a few months and it had brought us to some interesting places.

My daughter and I love to go searching for caches. I use my Iphone app and she has a kids geocaching GPS. Hers does not have a map, but it saves me from letting a 9 year old hold my phone as we cut through the woods.

Just to keep this thread going, I've been geocaching since 2003. My current toy is a Garmin Oregon 400t that I got in 2008. About time for a new one, I think.

My family and I geocached for a couple of years, then we just kind of got out of it. Our girls are teenagers and don't have an interest, but my wife and I will go again sometime.

Have an Etrex 20 on the way( company purchase for hhmhhm, vehiclular navigation) which I'll mainly be using to map some of the unmarked bushwalking tracks we have around here..and find my way out again...but I've been studying up on GC'ing as well.

Ok, geek challenge time.

I'll post a picture of shave gear at a geocache.

So.........

Well let me add a question here if the OP does not mind. If so, let me know and I will delete this post and start a new thread.

I know this is the most loaded question in all of geocaching but what sort of unit do I want to buy? I realise a handheld unit is required and Garmin Etrec line is mentioned a lot. However, if you go to Garmin you will find simply tonnes of models and I have no clue how to distinguish which features mean what, how it relates to each series in the line, and how it then affects the activity itself.

And of course price. From $100 to nearly $600. How do you make a choice? I can tell you we probably need to stay under $200 for a price point. And I also understand there are other brands to consider as well.

Cheers, Todd

Well let me add a question here if the OP does not mind. If so, let me know and I will delete this post and start a new thread.

I know this is the most loaded question in all of geocaching but what sort of unit do I want to buy? I realise a handheld unit is required and Garmin Etrec line is mentioned a lot. However, if you go to Garmin you will find simply tonnes of models and I have no clue how to distinguish which features mean what, how it relates to each series in the line, and how it then affects the activity itself.

And of course price. From $100 to nearly $600. How do you make a choice? I can tell you we probably need to stay under $200 for a price point. And I also understand there are other brands to consider as well.

Cheers, Todd

You can use any of them. Generally what you get with more expensive units is mapping, which may or may not be useful to you, ease of entry and maybe the ability to do it paperless. I use a couple year old Etrex Legend and it works fine, I just carry my printed sheet with me. The paperless caching can now be done with smartphones as well, I Know Iphone and Blackberry have apps and I am sure other phones have them as well.

To be honest I would bet that the vast majority of people who buy higher end models probaly never utilize all of the features anyway.

Jay

I'm the Scoutmaster for my Boy Scout Troop and we go the old Fashioned way...Map and Compass, and so far we have found everything that has been posted on our District website for our class. So long as we have the Lat Long we can find anything! Of course each boy also carries an Apisphere Geomate Jr, which were donated by our local REI after we completed 40-hours each of conservation.

Traditionally in December we don't have a traditional camp-out, so we did a geo day instead. I basically hid 10 classic scout tools in different places and as a troop (each boy took a turn as lead to find his cache) we found all the goodies...they had a blast and got stuff for their backpacks to boot!

I'm the Scoutmaster for my Boy Scout Troop and we go the old Fashioned way...Map and Compass, and so far we have found everything that has been posted on our District website for our class. So long as we have the Lat Long we can find anything! Of course each boy also carries an Apisphere Geomate Jr, which were donated by our local REI after we completed 40-hours each of conservation.

Thats awesome!

After I taught my Mom to geocache about 7-8 years ago she started asking me the origins, so to speak. After I explained Orienteering to her, she ended up expressing some interest in it so we took a couple classes with a local club. She had fun learning and I got to remember how to do it from Boyscouts 20 years ago. Easier to use GPS but nice to know I can still break out the map & compass in an emergency situation.

Jay

This is an activity that got our teenagers out of the house. Jump in the Jeep with some coordinates and take off. I don't think they would have gone for a walk in the park otherwise. I have a cheap hand held Garvin from about 4 or 5 years ago. It has served us well. Some interesting caches around here, even though we live in the suburbs, and it is hard to go unnoticed around here.

I haven't done as much lately as I once did, but still pick up the occasional cache on my travels.

Etrex legend here, but using my iPhone for all the metro ones lately....

Top Bottom