What's new

1946-1947 Superspeed

How do you identify the superspeed for 1946-47? Are there differences in the handle or markings? Is one better than the other? 1946 is my birth year and I am going to buy a superspeed.

Unfortunately, because Gillette did not use date codes during 1946 and 1947, there is no way to tell. In 1948 they added a blade notch on the center bar. 1946 and 1947 the center bar was unnotched and quite distinctive from all later center bars.

This link may help you out a little.

You are in luck because what you are looking for is a 1946 Ranger Tech, which you might say is the father of the Super Speed. They were not dated but this type of razor was only made for one year. Unlike the 1941 Ranger Tech, the 1946 version came with endcaps. Also, I think there was no patent info stamped on the handle.

Last edited:
Good call on the Ranger Tech. As for the Superspeeds, this thread has a pic that shows the difference between the notched and unnotched ones.

I thought the unnotched SS was only produced in '47, but I could be wrong.

here is my 46 Ranger Tech. It´s hard to find.

proxy.php

Topic of 1946-47 Super Speeds and Ranger Tech has been discussed here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36976
and here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67852

MTgrayling reported that he had an apparent Ranger Tech head (with endcaps, probably introduced in 1946) on a Super Speed handle. But the Super Speed is believed to have been introduced in 1947. In the second thread, Hoos stated that the Ranger Tech had considerably more blade exposure than the Super Speed, but contributors to other threads suggested the former was milder! As usual, mileages vary.

Here are two razors that I have - the one on the left fits 1947 SS specs to a T, but the one on the right has, I suspect, a 1946 Ranger Tech head (with endcaps) on a 1940's type handle:

Compare the top part of the handles. There is a "shoulder" on the left razor, which matches all the photos for '47 SS at ShaveWiki. The razor on the right, however, has a smooth curve into the knurled handle, as seen on the Ranger Techs and Milords (and later '40s Super Speeds). The upper part of the handle was probably part of the head assembly, inserting into the tubular handle proper. Since this varied over time, not sure it means a lot by itself.

Looking at the top of the head, there's a groove or indentation on the left razor above the guard bar, but a smooth curve for the razor at the right. The left one matches Super Speed heads; from pictures I've seen, the one on the right matches Ranger Tech.

Looking inside, there's an abrupt angular break on the base plate at the left, again matching photos for 1947 Super Speeds. The groove is also very evident. In contrast, there is a smooth curve on the razor to the right.

Looking from the bottom, the groove and angle break vs smooth curve are again evident, but we also see differences in the stamping. At left the letters are thinner vs the wider impression at right, and the letter spacing differs a bit too. The stamping at right appears to match that in Achim's RT photos earlier in this thread.

Looking at ends of the head, the razor at left has a distinct drop toward the guard bar (the result of the groove), while that on the right has a smooth transition toward the bar (matching Achim's RT photos). This might lead some to infer that the Ranger Tech head is milder, having less "blade gap", but I don't think that's a real guide to so-called aggressiveness at all. I suspect blade exposure (past an imaginary line between guard or teeth and the head) is the best indicator.

Yesterday morning I did a comparison shave, using one Feather blade alternately in the 1947 SS, the "hybrid", and a 1934 Aristocrat. I switched multiple times per pass. My initial impression is that the '34 is the more aggressive, followed closely by the hybrid and then the '47 as mildest.

When I get back to updating my photo analysis of razor designs with TTO examples, I'll look at these in detail.

Meantime, I'm curious about folks' ideas on when the "hybrid" Ranger Tech head on Super Speed handle might have been made. I'm not sure when in 1947 the SS was introduced...if fairly early, maybe some of these hybrids were made toward the end of 1946 and marketed as Ranger Techs? Gillette might have considered the handle difference unimportant, and then carried over the "upgrade" into manufacture of the SS the subsequent year.

Alternatively, the Super Speed might have started out in 1947 with a Ranger Tech head until they worked some manufacturing bugs out of a redesigned head.

- Bill

P.S. This appears fairly rare, but there are some around. See here for example: http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/1947-gillette.html

Last edited:
First of all Bill, great write-up pointing out the details in your beautiful photos of your nice razors….

There did seem to be a flurry of variations in the head / handle during what is called the 1947 Super Speed.
While emailing friends, I refer to the 47s with the earlier head style as 46.5s…..:biggrin:
I had a fit take me a little while back and started picking up 47s here and there when I saw them. Doing a quick inventory yielded the following results.

Sloped head non-shouldered handle SS seems to be the rarest in my non-scientific survey while the stepped head shouldered handled SS seems the most common.

How do you identify the superspeed for 1946-47? Are there differences in the handle or markings? Is one better than the other? 1946 is my birth year and I am going to buy a superspeed.

I think this was answered but I'll just say that a 1946 Milord Tech would be the easiest razor to get for that year followed by a 46-47 Aristocrat.

A nice cased 46 Milord can be had for less than fifty if you look around, while a 46 Ranger Tech will most likely cost two to three times that.

Good hunting.........

My 47 SS has no step on the top of handle, but all the other signs of a 47, not a hybrid.
Very confusing.

Top Bottom