What's new

ATG grip?

How do you hold and maneuver your DEs when you are going ATG? I wouldn't say I am having any particular problems with the shave because of it, but am surprised at how uncomfortable and awkward the grip feels when using a more heavy razor. For example, today I was shaving with my relatively heavy ball-end Gillette tech. Its has a short, skinny handle as well, and finding the best way to grip it for an ATG passes is quite awkward, I tried a couple different ways but nothing seemed to feel quite right. My shave was still fine, just fumbled about a bit as I was trying different grips. I also notice some who continue the locked wrist technique when going ATG, whereas others seem to put alot more pivot into it?

What's your preferred method? Suggestions for me, especially with those heavy, short handled razors?

Last edited:
It really depends upon which direction ATG is. For my face it is S to N so I hold my razor with two fingers plus my thumb on the handle and one finger on the tip. On one part of my neck the ATG pass is W to E and on that I hold it with three fingers plus my thumb on the handle. I do the same with the E to W pass on the other part of my neck. I try to lock my wrist but on my neck passes it is difficult.

I really comes together with time and practice. I know in the beginning it feels like you are :a52: but hand in there.

Top Bottom