What's new

My lather's too watery....Now what?

Hi all. We've all had issues with using too little water (or advised others). But I have a diferent scenario.

So for the past week, I've been using Col Conk's soap and having a difficult time creating a good lather. It's been a combination of improperly loading the brush and my usual impatience. Don't get me wrong, the lather has been excellent, just a struggle creating it. So today I decided to take a shortcut -- I didn't drain the soap bowl and didn't shake out my brush after soaking it. Yes...predictable result. Very watery lather, which I corrected by adding some cream. The end result was an awesome shave at the expense of wasted soap/cream.

Which brings me to my question. What do y'all do when you've added too much water?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
+1 on the "dump it"

I have a nice chunk missing from the side of my chin (not very deep but about the diameter of 1/2 a raisin) from my straight skipping/jumping when I accidentally put water into my shaving mug, drowning my lather, and stupidly said "meh, it'll work" and continued shaving.

Watery lather = bad news for me. I recommend you toss the few cents of cream/soap and make a new batch.

I'm a face latherer, but If I've put a little too much water in, then I usually put the brush in my bowl and proceed to create the lather in a bowl. The added swirling helps "dry" the lather out. After that just add more soap if still needed.

Good responses so far. I think the two choices are either dump it or add more product. Personally, I don't see the point in dumping it out. Of course the best solution is to avoid adding too much water in the first place, but we all make mistakes.

It depends on how watery it is. If I am using a soap and I put too much water in I add a small amount of a cream to see if that will cure it. Usually it does.

I scrub some on my face to reduce the load and go back to the puck. If it really is soup I squeeze a brush load into the sink and waste it. Sometimes the lather overflows onto the counter and sink. That is life.

Sometimes, if it is a case of the lather broke because water was added too fast, but not too much water, a few seconds of face lathering fixes it.

Super lather is fun though (added cream) add glycerin and it is Uber lather, and will probably need more water.

Phil

Last edited:
I use soaps for the most part and face lather, and by loading my brush for a min of one minute, this ensures enough product to ensure this situation doesn't arise.

David

Just a bit too much water, I add more product. Waay too much water, I dump it and start over. First though, I consider if I really ought to be shaving right then. A lack of focus and attention to the lather is nothing compared to wielding a sharp blade. :biggrin1:

-jim

Some amazing advice I got when I first started wet shaving was to add water 3-5 drops at a time. I have been doing this since and it's helped me with my lather making tremendously.

Top Bottom