What's new

Feather SS (New One)

Hello

Anyone seen these new razors or know where to get one in the US or Canada yet? They seem to be a new design and more user friendly.

They have almost a hollow grind on one side and are resin scaled. I seen posted here before a Japanese ad for them. now I Cannot find even a photo.

They are not the artist club series its a new one.

James

Those look pretty interesting. I'm going to talk to my friend in Japan and see if he can send me one.

They are still known as Artist Club SS.

proxy.php

I'm sure Telly will be along on these. He's the go to guy for Feather or Kai razors as well as some great deals on Feather blades. He gets them right from Japan. :thumbup1:

All I could find out was that the SS models are supposed to give a smoother shaving experience. Apparently, the blade sits deeper into the housing by 0.2 mm. According to Feather, that and the shape should give users less irritation.

Last edited:
From what I gather on their images and posters, the little bulge right before the blade exposure creates a depression in the skin as the razor moves across the face. This "seems" to be advantageous to line up the right angles. Again, this is from marketing information ;-) so beware as with all marketing "information."

I am very curious to try one out, as it looks like something that should work well. It appears that the bump on the blade holder acts as a rest, allowing the user to shave with more pressure, or more speed, or more generally with a sloppier technique since the there would be 2 points of contact on the skin instead of one. Giving this razor some of the characteristics of a DE safety bar, but with much more adjustability.

I've got one of these guys on the way to me soon so I will be very curious to see how it stacks up to my Feather DX and KAI Captain Excelia. :thumbup:

I received my new Feather SS/Resin razor today. I received a Japanese style/Non-Folding version which matches my Feather DX & Kai Captain Excelia, so some comments may not apply to the Western/Folding version.

I haven't used it yet but first impressions seem good. It has nice weight and really good balance. The focrum is actually almost dead centre of the razor and it was VERY easy to balance on my finger. Hopefully this means it will be good to maneuver.

The metal is not shiny at all, it almost looks brushed and it is an interesting contrast to the DX. The blade area is rounded too instead of squared off so it is overall a very smooth look. The handle feels like silicone and there is no gap between the silicon and the metal which means it should be VERY easy to keep clean and maintain.

I plan on using it either tonight or tomorrow.

As a disclaimer: Normally I user Super Pros but I am currently out of them. So I figure a good test will be to use either Standard Pros (which tear my face up badly most of the time) or the included Pro Guards. This should make it very clear from day one if this thing is truly 'more protecting/milder' than the DX/RG.

Last edited:
Will do! I've had lots of time with the DX and the Captain Excelia so I should be able to tell what is different/special about this SS verion pretty quickly. Fingers crossed at least. :lol:

Where did you get ahold of a Captain Excelia? I have yet to find a US distributor.

Where did you get ahold of a Captain Excelia? I have yet to find a US distributor.

I was able to grab the Captain Excelia from Telly (TstebinsB). He sometimes gets ahold of some and puts them in the BSTs. He has also organized some group buys in the past. If you keep your eyes open you'll probably catch one of his listings.

Top Bottom