What's new

Neck irritation: How did you cure it?

One of the most often-occurring problems for new and experienced shavers alike is the red and irritated neck. In my own case, it stopped after: I improved my prep/soap/cream, found the right razor/blade combo, developed a no-pressure stroke at the correct angle, and put my ATG pass at the end (#3).

I now get close, comfortable, nick and irritation-free BBS shaves nearly every time. But there wasn't an obvious or quick answer, and it took several weeks to work out.

Please share with us what you did to solve your neck-related problem.

Codfish

Last edited:
Cold water shaving did the trick for me. I get zero irritation on the neck, or anywhere for that matter. None of those nasty red bumps either. Nothing compensates for proper technique, so getting my technique down was the first step. On the days when my technique is a little messy (we all have bad shave days) I slap a little bit of talc powder on the irritated area. Goes away real quick.

Cold water shaving has given me consistently closer shaves with zero irritation.

One of the most often-occurring problems for new and experienced shavers is the red and irritated neck. In my own case, it stopped after: I improved my prep/soap/cream, found the right razor/blade combo, developed a no-pressure stroke at the correct angle, and put my ATG pass (3) at the end.

I now get close, comfortable, nick and irritation-free BBS shaves nearly every time. But there wasn't an obvious or quick answer, and it took several weeks to work out.

Please share with us what you did to solve your neck-related problem.

Codfish

Mapped my face to know what direction the beard grew. Then I knew what way to shave with less irritation.

For me it was switching to straights. I have been fighting neck irritation for years, and while a safety razor reduced it, it never quite eliminated it. As long as I am careful with my straights, and I usually am, I never get irritation.

No matter what I try I still get ingrown hairs on my neck below my adam's apple. My hairs grow at such a shallow angle that its easy for them to get stuck under the skin if I go ATG there. Also happens on my jaw line and sometimes on my cheeks. Its sad.

Pretty much everything: better prep, better angle, less pressure, and a mix of facial contortions and gentle stretching.

After my normal shave I rinse with warm water - then as cold as I can get it.
Pat dry and put After Shave lotion on - while the neck is still wet from the AS I lightly go over the places on the neck that refuse to come clean with the previous shave. I think the cold water helps plus the alcohol and light lubrication from the AS. Also found the my Cobra Classic cuts close with a very light touch.

A little OT: I get slight neck irritation from wearing a shirt and tie everyday to work. The irritation is from the collar rubbing against my neck area. I don't wear tight collars, so that probably helps a little bit. Any other ideas?

Cold water shaving did the trick for me. I get zero irritation on the neck, or anywhere for that matter. None of those nasty red bumps either. Nothing compensates for proper technique, so getting my technique down was the first step. On the days when my technique is a little messy (we all have bad shave days) I slap a little bit of talc powder on the irritated area. Goes away real quick.

Cold water shaving has given me consistently closer shaves with zero irritation.

What? Are you serious?

I mean no disrespect, but this is the first time I have EVER heard of this technique actually being successful?

I stopped getting irritation on my neck when I started doing two things.
1) I now shave before I shower (I know blasphemy :tongue_sm)
2) I use a pre-shave oil and really work it in
This even helped me to get those hairs that lay flat on my neck.

I struggled with ingrowns and neck irritation for months after getting my first DE. I tried many of the oft-suggested remedies, mostly in vain. Gradually, I picked up on the fact that, for me at least, doing the opposite of the conventional fix in most cases seemed to work best. This may be a function of my coarse, thick, and curly beard. In any case, here's what cured it for me:

(1) Doing a full 3-pass shave (including ATG) every day, no exceptions. This has made the biggest difference. For months, on advice I did the opposite and shaved every other day, or twice a week. This caused me innumerable ingrowns.

(2) Shaving with icy-cold water. Forget all the hot towels and fancy bowls for keeping lather warm (though these things are comforting). Cold water has virtually eliminated the razor burn and weepers from my life. And because my face is less swollen when cold, I actually get a closer shave.

(3) Using a moderately aggressive razor. I find I apply less pressure when the razor does the work for me.

(4) Using a sharp blade (Feather) every day. I go so far as to change my blade daily because, with my coarse beard, my second-day shaves can be rough. I find that the sharper the blade, the less sting I get from my AS.

(5) Using an alcohol-based AS splash every day, and liberally. Helps keep the bugs at bay and closes the pores.

(6) Using a good-quality moisturizer after that. I like the Kiehl's stuff.

(7) Of course, you have to make sure your first pass actually is WTG on your neck. For me, that means first pass is in a few different directions.

I'm convinced that had I known to just do (1) and (2) at the outset, it would have saved me months of frustration and irritation. I never thought that my neck problems would ever completely go away, but they have. Sometimes revelations are slow in coming. Of course, YMMV--but then again YMMNV.

Last edited:
I've been DE shaving for a year and straight razor shaving for about 6 month or around that. I still get neck irritaion largely in part to incorrect angle. It's still hard for me to get it right. Maybe soon i will experiance the type of success you guys are experiance.

Knowing when to quit! When you have a good shave - stop! Sometimes you are having such a fine time shaving that just one more pass, one more lather seems like a good idea. Zuviel ist ungesund. too much is unhealthy

I would also have to concur with everything New Madrid said, except #1 (I can't go ATG). Cold water works best for me too. I have noticed that a decent alcohol splash, with witch hazel, goes a long way in reducing irritation. I also finish off with Kiehls.

Recently, I have been using a two razor method. This is distinguishable from " the three razor method" that you may have learned about on another site. Instead of starting off with a really aggressive cut, I start off with a mild first pass. I use either my tech or progress on a low setting. Then I use my New long comb. This seems to work for me because that first aggressive pass was the one that always gave me problems. I am guessing that is because my beard is quite thick. YMMV

I'd heartily recommend witch hazel as a part of your regimen. Cheap Wally World WH has done wonders for my razor burn.

What? Are you serious?

I mean no disrespect, but this is the first time I have EVER heard of this technique actually being successful?

I mean no disrespect, but... :lol:

You're surprised? Imagine how surprised I was when I tried cold water shaving, and it worked better than warm water shaving! I cold shave every day and I use feather blades and never have any tugging. Mind you I have an extremely thick beard, with thick hairs, and even a straight razor can't eliminate my perma-shadow. Some people mention tugging, but I suspect they get something wrong. The water has to be cold throughout the entire process including the brush soaking and lather making process. The cold water makes the whiskers stand erect which makes them easier for the blade to slice. Its the room temperature water that's painful. Anyway, if you haven't tried it, I recommend it. The closest shaves with zero irritation ever time.

It could be the fact that I'm using a feather blade. Honestly, every other blade tugs at the whiskers including the famed derby, among others. YMMV but I think its worth a try.

I tried cold water, worked OK, but no pleasure.

I was over-preping. Kyle's prep is too much for my face, even though it feels wonderful. A shorter prep without so much hot was the answer.

I still havent gotten it "perfect" as I have a hard time getting bbs on my neck, but I have gotten irritation free.

Phil

I still get a fair amount of neck irritation, although it's nowhere near the levels when I shaved with a Mach3. I've sort of learned to live with it, and try to shave lightly on the adam's apple area. I think that shaving everyday, rather than every other day, helps.

Brrrrrrr, cold water shaving. haven't tried it yet, but i'm still getting irritation on parts, so perhaps i'll give cold water shaving this w/end.

Top Bottom