What's new

New CDN member

brucered

System Generated
making the switch to safety razor soon. i've tried foil razors, rotary, wet rotary (philips nivea) and gillette fusion 5 with cream.

a co-worker went and bought a merkur 38c and loves it.

i see the Merkur HD is recommended for beginners, but rather then get a cheaper intro razor, would it be ok getting the same.

i'd most likely be ordering from Fendrihan unless someone knows of other Canadian sites (save on shipping and duty)

i have sensitive skin, get razor burn easy.

can't believe i joined a Shaving forum :001_wub:, but i sure hope it helps. looks like a great forum.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome! Nothing wrong at all with a 38C to start.

www.italianbarber.com is just starting up in Richmond Hill (North of Toronto) and has some great prices. www.rasagepoulin.com is Alberta-based. I have used fendrihan quite a bit and Alfred provides excellent service.

I have the red-handled 38C from Fendrihan but find it a little large for my hands. If you want to save a few $ from buying brand new, mine was bought in mid-Oct this year and once I get my Slim delivered (shipping from US last week), I'll be looking to part with the 38C. PM me if you want to.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Welcome to B&B. I do not use the Murkers so someone else will have to help with that. While you are waiting watch the videos by Mantic59 on Youtube, you will learn a lot from them. Also if you have not done so start reading some of the WIKIS on here.

Once your razor arrives all you will have to do is practice, practice, practice.

brucered

System Generated
Once your razor arrives all you will have to do is practice, practice, practice.

yeah, my buddy at work said the first few times he used his, he had knicks and cuts all over the place.

he basically said, let the weight of the shave to the work, don't press to hard and like you said, practice, practice, practice.

i'll have to watch some of the youtube stuff and read some more of the faq's and wikis on here.

i'm tired of buying the nivea lotion for the electric and my fusion 5 blades cost an arm and a leg and i go thru them like water. and i only use the fusion 5 for my neck in the shower to get an extra close shave. when i use a brand new blade and some shaving cream it works great, but they don't last long.

i'm in my 30's, but love the aspect of the safety razor, goes hand in hand with my vinyl (turntable) fetish. :drool: if i take up smoking (which i won't), it would have to be a pipe

Hello fellow Canadian.

I bought the 34HD from Fendrihan and I haven't regretted it.
I suggest purchasing a blade sampler; this will help you narrow down the blades that work for you. For me it is the Red Personnas and the Gillette 7 o'Clock (Green) with my 34HD.

Anyways; don't be shy to ask questions; this forum is full of great knowledgable people.

Good luck.

Welcome. Good to have another member from the Great White North.
take your time and you'll get the hang of it.
Ask questions, listen to the advice, embrace your AD' but most importantly have fun!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Welcome.

I don't think anybody has mentioned that the 38C is a long handled HD. . . I.e. same shaving head. That was the razor I re-started with a couple of years ago. . . from Fendrihan. I've never regretted that choice and it remains the only DE I own. I've since moved on to using straight razors but I still have the occasional shave with my 38C . . . trusted and reliable.

Mike

Welcome. Yes, practice is going to be your best friend, and B&B will be your mistress. Ask questions. There are a lot of great guys here to help out.

Where in Canada are you from?

Top Bottom