What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thanks David, it's an image I've posted in the past, just trying to help Tom out.

Cheers, Steve

Makes me wanna build a snowman.....

$Shinden Shiro Renge 1.jpg

A couple new Hatanaka stamped gems. The asagi is another with a pattern that JNS has called "karasu". I'm still reluctant to call it that but took a pic of it beside it's full size twin. The kiita has the remnants of fuller stamps with the hatanaka razor designated stamp being accompanied by more kanji on top, beside it as well as in the lower left corner. It's hard to capture but the kiita has faint purples and pinks through it as well as some rings on the side that would probably display as kan if it were a larger stone. Both of these koppas are over 800g and very hard!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are the brother and sister asagis beside each other. Still not sure what to call that pattern. The only other one I've seen was a nakayama maruichi from Maksim.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Collective hive mind. I scored this stone for $28 at an antiques tool show. It's definitely a jnat but I'm wondering what the heck it is specifically and if I did well. It feels about as fast as a coti with slurry and leaves a really nice finish. I haven't honed much on it yet. Tested a small Les lat coti to build up slurry and it worked really well.

Anyways maybe someone can tell me what I've got here.

Thanks Keith for the nail polish tip, great for sealing in a pinch.

$IMG_20161026_234510.jpg$IMG_20161026_234547.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_20161026_232514.jpg
    $IMG_20161026_232514.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 154
  • $IMG_20161026_232337_01.jpg
    $IMG_20161026_232337_01.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 152
A couple new Hatanaka stamped gems. The asagi is another with a pattern that JNS has called "karasu". I'm still reluctant to call it that but took a pic of it beside it's full size twin. The kiita has the remnants of fuller stamps with the hatanaka razor designated stamp being accompanied by more kanji on top, beside it as well as in the lower left corner. It's hard to capture but the kiita has faint purples and pinks through it as well as some rings on the side that would probably display as kan if it were a larger stone. Both of these koppas are over 800g and very hard!

They call this patern i think Damascuss assagi I may be whrong Anyway good stones Jeremy
The unnoun Jnat also lok very promising :thumbup1:

Shou Hon Yama Iromono Namazu. I guess it would also be Asagi. Well this is my first full sized JNAT. 207 X 78 X 35mm and 3lbs. Sealed in Urishi. Never planned on a full size stone. This one came at a low price for what it is. Had some chips. Also it was listed at a LV.4 knife finishing stone. This seller I had watched and he bought a lot of stones from Keith and sold them all as LV.4 stones for less than he paid. Plus stones from others. He seems like a knife guy and he got this stone from a friend who used it as a razor finisher. Said it gave an edge much like a coticule. So I took a chance. Does seem very fine and cuts well but a bit softer than my other stones. Still have to try it out on a good razor and shave. I am hoping for a good stone for razors and knives here. Spent a while lapping and a nice chip came off the end being held in by the Urishi. Got her nice and clean now. First stone that self slurries. Here are before and after pics.

$image.jpg $image.jpg

Nice stone, Tom. Are you going to glue that chip back on?/QUOTE]

Thanks David. That chip came off where the seller showed a smaller chip. I lapped it out. It came from that namazu section right in front of it. The shadow on the urishi from the chip is just below where it came from. It is perfect now and really thick. Not sure how I will like a stone this size. I am really a hand hone person.

Tom
Top deck corners and edges are the most fragile surfaces on these layered sediment stones, and a little bump can weaken the layer just below the surface without any notice. This can happen anywhere from the mine to the wholesaler or the retailer. Looks like you got a beautiful stone, and it might be a fast cutter too that you can judge with just clear water and a good piece of hard steel, if it leaves black swarf floating in clear water before a lot of slurry develops then you got a winner. The darker the black the better. Yours is not an asagi stone but more thought of as a iromono tomae.

Alex

Top Bottom