What's new

Second-hand store

I was looking for DE razors in my local second-hand store when I came across this straight. Now, bear in mind I've never used a straight before, let alone bought one but I thought it looked okay for £12. Since getting home I've been doing some research but have been able to find nothing about it. All I know is what's obvious from looking at it. (A 5/8 if I'm not wrong?)

Here's where you guys come in. Is anyone able to tell me how old it is? Quality? Worth restoring? I ask because I've been wanting to start straight razor shaving for a while now.

Thanks for your help :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Could you post some larger pictures of the blade itself? I'm a straight noob, but my main concern is that spot near the edge -- rust or pitting right there could be a big problem, but I'll let more experienced guys say for sure.

The rust/pitting along the edge might need some work on the hone to get a proper bevel set. But any Sheffield blade I think is worth putting some elbow grease into.

The rust doesn't look that bad. A good polishing with various abrasives will probably get it out. Sheffield was one of the main centers for razor-manufacture in the 19th century, so that ought to be a good blade. I reckon it's worth restoring.

Top Bottom